Starting a custom light(ish) weight .338 Norma build!!

Another track to try, is IMR8133. I've been loading it with 300gr SMK in my 338rum and I'm getting some impressive velocity for the charge. As far as data, it shows better speed and charge density than retumbo or h1000

Got a final load by the way. Ended on 66.5 grains H1000, there is a nice flat spot there and the Peterson brass will last forever. Velocity chronoed at 2715 ish, but when we shot it out to 1465 yards the other day, it took 2750 in the applied ballistics app to make good hits. Wind was pushing us around pretty good, it was gusting from 12-18 mph....but vertical at that range was extremely good, with 5 shots on target having only 5" of vertical spread, well under half MOA. My buddy is beyond excited over this rifle, and absolutely amazed at how well the brake reduces recoil. He was easily spotting hits at 300 yards, the closest we shot it on steel, and after sending 20 rounds downrange from prone, said he felt like he was shooting a 22-250 the recoil was so light.

He has a deer tag and and elk tag, and we're planning on smoking both with the rifle. This one is certainly a winner, and has been a super fun build. If N570 ever becomes readily available, we may conduct some load work up with it, but for now it seems like load development is done, now we need to start tacking on some kills!!

Thanks for following this thread everyone, this has been a very fun and special build for us. Take care!!!

N570 works well in my 300nmi. Beings I have bout 6gr more capacity and you're stepping up a bore size, I feel the slightly faster burn N565 may work well in your cartridge. It shows similar results to H1000 with a bit more speed vs grain count and burns very clean with very little temp shift. It's available in some places, a few stores locally had some before a friend and I cleaned em out.

I did a high pressure work up with the 300 grain Bergers and IMR 8133. The peak pressure was the same as Retumbo but used about 3 grains more powder which was a compressed load. I wasn't shooting very well that day so can't say much for accuracy potential. At least the velocity spectrum was there. Also ran the 285 ELDMs and 265 Nosler ABLR and H1000 did better.

Built a 27" Benchmark Carbon in 338 Lapua AI. Using RL33 @106.5 it is producing 2990 at 8000ft. Well under 1/2MOA. At 159oz (9#15oz) with ATACR it is a Hammer using 300gr Berger. Had an Ed Brown 338RUM that does 2950 with Berger250. With Leupold MK6 it weighs 8#5oz and shoots <1/2moa but recoil is moderately stiff! Nothing like a 338 for elk

DELETED, my lengthy, would be controversial reply as......when rereading the OP, I realized that it was 2 years old! memtb

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.