Start up help

Homer75

I've been kicking around the idea of using the 105 A-Max or the 95 Ballistic tip for my 243 m70. What would you use as a starting point the bullet or the powder? I hope this question makes sense. I haven't bought either, the bullets or powder.

If the purpose for the load is hunting, I'd start with the bullet and find the powder that best meets the accuracy need. It's the bullet that does the work. The powder serves only to get the bullet where it needs to go.

RL-22 provides great accuracy with the 105 A-Max. Hornady load is listed as Min. 40.2 Gr. and Max 43.5 Gr. at 2800 FPS. This has been my favorite load.

Another good one might be RL-17 for the 105 A-Max. Hornady load is listed as Min. 35.9 Gr. and Max 41.5 Gr. at 2900 FPS. RL-17 has a nice long powder curve and is great in things like the Creedmoor and WSM. It might be great in the 243 too. Definitely worth a try.

Nosler also offers free load data on their website with the most accurate powder designated. Keep in mind to that some powders are temperature sensitive (faster when it's hot, slower when cold). Determine the temp you plan to shoot the most and make sure you aren't going to be over max loads if you happen to shoot in a hot temp. There are "extreme" powders that cut down or eliminate those temp sensitivities, like Hogdon powders.
Also, I think Wincheters run 1:10 twist on their .243s, so just make sure you pick a bullet that is optimized for your barrel twist and altitude. You can get away with a little less twist at higher altitude.

Hey Homer,
My starting point is usually what has peaked my interest at the time. If a new bullet comes out tht interest me I start planning on what powder to use. If it's a new or different powder then any of my favorite bullets will do.
I used the 95gn Ballistic Tip in my W70 Heavy Barrel for a few years. I found a superbly accuracte load using 44.0gn of Viht N560 and BR2's. My OAL was 2.2600" and they averaged 3114fps and 100yds accuracy was .2225". I took a lot of groundhog's in Northern Virginia with this load and my longest kill with the load was @ 580yds.
Hope this is helpful. JohnnyK.

Hey Homer,
My starting point is usually what has peaked my interest at the time. If a new bullet comes out tht interest me I start planning on what powder to use. If it's a new or different powder then any of my favorite bullets will do.
I used the 95gn Ballistic Tip in my W70 Heavy Barrel for a few years. I found a superbly accuracte load using 44.0gn of Viht N560 and BR2's. My OAL was 2.2600" and they averaged 3114fps and 100yds accuracy was .2225". I took a lot of groundhog's in Northern Virginia with this load and my longest kill with the load was @ 580yds.
Hope this is helpful. JohnnyK.

95gn ballistic tip, that's a heck of a bullet for groundhogs.
The ballistic tips are going to be my #2 bullet.

I would start with the 95 gr bt for hunting and then possibly the a max for your second choice. The Ajax is a bit soft for my liking. Great bullet but I have had the best luck with the nosler 95gr. Only once was I curious as toif it would work when I took a large hog in south Florida. It sealed the deal for me bullet stayed together and made a nice little hole going in and a fairy large exit. The exit was more than I'd like for deer but guessing that was because of how long ouch pigs are. I liked them so much I ebeen usingthem in my 6x45 also. Good luck either should be good.

95 classic 100V 3300fps in a 10tw. Have only shot a coyote with it so far. Frontal chest shot. Made the insides mush at 225yds. This groups 1/2 moa with single digit sd so far

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.