Stainless vs. CM

Stob

From a pure accuracy standpoint, which will be the most accurate? If a maker took the same pains to rifle and lap both the same, would one deliver better accuracy?

From the Krieger website...

For the most part neither one is better than the other. The only difference we find is that sometimes the chrome moly might take a little longer to break-in and might have a little more affinity for copper or seems to show it easier. In terms of barrel life and accuracy, we can find no difference comparing clean barrels.

Given they are manufactured to the same standards, they would be equal.

+1

There may be some advantage to one or the other based on use, But a quality barrel should be accurate no matter what material it is made of.

There is also a cost difference in the two materials. unfortunately, most cheaply made barrels are Chrome molly (Because the material is cheaper) and in many cases,not as well made as most Stainless barrels. (You get what you pay for).

J E CUSTOM

I've cut a lot of both, plus the exotic alloys on state of the art equipment. I've always been able to cut C/M a little more accurately. Not so much numbers, but is micro finish.
SS steel tends of develop hard spots, and also tends to vary from lot to lot number. Where as a typical certified lot of C/M will be extremely consistent in machining. Another issue with steels (all types) is the constant changing factor. You know what C/M is going to do from the get go, but with stainless steel it often becomes an adventure. I used to take a piece of metal from the same bar I was going to machine, and literally make a few cuts on it to see what it was like. Some cut very well, and others were nasty. You get into the high dollar exotic SS steels, and you find them to be a little consistent. Yet you still gotta learn them.

I've honed a lot of SS steel, and it's OK to hone. Still nothing like C/M. I can hone C/M within a +/- .000050" window without too much trouble. I can also do the same with stainless, but I also have to fight that last couple tenths to get there. Another thing to think about is not in numbers or even micro finish, but contour shapes. Both cut similar shapes and contours till you start looking at a max radius of .005" or less. You often have to go back in there and grind to get there. Trust me; you want to avoid doing this. Yet there's nothing in a rifle barrel held to this thank God. The worst thing I ever cut with stainless steel was gears. Cut well, but seemed to constantly be moving around. Hard to hold a near perfect involute. I ended up leaving .008" all the way around, and ground them. To do over (I gained some knowledge) I'd have left .003", and shaved them and honed .0005" off them shave job.

One thing stainless steel does very well, is to be cut via wire EDM. Doesn't seem to change much. Only worked it over a couple times with a sinker, but results seemed OK.

gary

From the Krieger website...

For the most part neither one is better than the other. The only difference we find is that sometimes the chrome moly might take a little longer to break-in and might have a little more affinity for copper or seems to show it easier. In terms of barrel life and accuracy, we can find no difference comparing clean barrels.

This has been my experience as well.

In the benchrest world a number of years ago, the main supplier of stainless barrel steel closed their doors. Barrel makers scrambled to find good steel. I've chambered barrels for over 20 years, and I can tell the differences in the steel, the way they cut and ream. And the issue remains today. I have had barrels purchased from the "best of the best" that started to foul after as little as 500 rounds. Looking at them with a borescope, you can see inclusions, stripped areas, and the like. I' not talking about typical firecracking ahead of the throat. Not to say they shot poorly, but I can't afford to replace barrels with so few rounds. And this isn't limited to just one or two makers, it's the steel.

I knnow many don't shoot that many rounds but when competing, several thousand rouns in a year isn't unusual. You never see a CM barrel at a benchrest match. There is no question most benchrest shooters are like lemmings, they do as others. But I think I'll give a CM barrel a try. I've got enough "duds" on my shelf as it is, maybe this will be different.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.