nitriding stainless

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by dogone, Apr 11, 2013.

1. dogone

dogone Member

Does anyone know if stainless can be liquid nitrided? I am just starting a build and really like the qualities and looks of nitriding.

2. ultraedge

ultraedge Well-Known Member

I have had 6 ss custom barrels melonited or salt nitrided.

3. Hapcustoms

Hapcustoms Member

That's a goo way to go on SS but remember it does add a little to the metal so it could bring your head space a little closer in.. I have lots of problems on AR barrels with it and only because I'm trying to make min headspace with multiple functions..

4. msalm

msalm Well-Known Member

Nitriding to my understanding is a carburizing process and only case hardens the steel. It should not add anything to the thickness like parkerizing would. And yes, you can do stainless.

5. Hapcustoms

Hapcustoms Member

Your right in theory but I've nitrided a couple of dozen and have had a measurable diff especially with AR barrels.

6. msalm

msalm Well-Known Member

I certainly don't doubt what you've encountered. I've had a few done myself and didn't experience any issues, but I wouldn't claim it couldn't happen. Out of curiosity, did you have them treated with the extension installed or did you remove them before sending them out?

7. Hapcustoms

Hapcustoms Member

I had them done with the extension on. I have had issues with diff bolt heads also on the bright so I don't thing there's anything any better..