nitriding stainless

dogone

Does anyone know if stainless can be liquid nitrided? I am just starting a build and really like the qualities and looks of nitriding.

That's a goo way to go on SS but remember it does add a little to the metal so it could bring your head space a little closer in.. I have lots of problems on AR barrels with it and only because I'm trying to make min headspace with multiple functions..

Nitriding to my understanding is a carburizing process and only case hardens the steel. It should not add anything to the thickness like parkerizing would. And yes, you can do stainless.

I certainly don't doubt what you've encountered. I've had a few done myself and didn't experience any issues, but I wouldn't claim it couldn't happen. Out of curiosity, did you have them treated with the extension installed or did you remove them before sending them out?

I had them done with the extension on. I have had issues with diff bolt heads also on the bright so I don't thing there's anything any better..

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.