Stainless barrel contours

cervus

Barrel makers the likes of bartlein, kreiger and others have a minimum size they will do a stainless barrel contour in, which are still quite a chunky barrel...

How do folk get on if they want a slimmer contour than what is their minimum for "stainless", what are the options ????

Do you get a gunsmith to turn a barrel down to desired size or do some barrel makers actually do a slimmer profile on request??

Preferred Barrel #1 is 0.630 at muzzle as well. You have to see how the barrel manufacturer profiles their barrel dimensions and see if they have what you want.

It depends a lot on the bore diameter.
I'll cast another vote for Pac-Nor, when I built my .338-06 they did the #3 contour I wanted when everyone turned me down the minute I asked for a .338 bore. I called Bartline, Brux, and Rock none would make me the barrel. I think Lilja will do light contours in SS as well, but I never called after talking to Pac-Nor.

I have a lilja #3 or #2 SS barrel on my light weight 270WIN MOD 700 LA. I had that rifle made when I was 55 and have hunted rugged-vertical Coues country in S AZ for 10 years with it. I can not conceive why you would want or need anything lighter.

I use carbon steel for smaller contours. I have had super results with carbon steel barrels from quality barrel makers. Get it Cerakoted and don't worry about rust.

If I remember right, they have found that in extreme cold temps, stainless is prone to severe splitting/rupturing in 30 caliber when fired if the wall isn't thick enough. So to avoid law suits........

Barrel makers the likes of bartlein, kreiger and others have a minimum size they will do a stainless barrel contour in, which are still quite a chunky barrel...

How do folk get on if they want a slimmer contour than what is their minimum for "stainless", what are the options ????

Do you get a gunsmith to turn a barrel down to desired size or do some barrel makers actually do a slimmer profile on request??
Bench Mark Barrels are great. I have a 24" #2 contour stainless on my 270 and it shoots extremely well.

Recent Posts