SST...150 or 165 grain?

bajaaa

308W
23.6"
1/12" twist

I've been giving more thought on this as I get ready to buy some bullets and wondered....

Realistically, my shot opportunity on deer will amount to this roughly...

< 200yds......... 60%

200-300 yds.....20%

300-400 yds.....10%

400-500 yds..... 7%

500-600 yds..... 3%

Maybe I should try the 150gr/SST instead and get the velocity based on my real world scenario...

Which would you try first and why?

Appreciate the help:D

Last edited:
first i would see if either one will shoot accurate from your rifle.if one shoots better that the other than you have your answer.i personally like the heavier bullets if they happen to shoot well in my rifle.i'm not a velocity nut who pushes each bullet to the max.i can deal with a little lower velocity with a heavier bullet that will deflect the wind a little better and carry a little more energy to the target.

My buddy shoots a Savage 308 with the 150 grain SST Superformance load and it's a flat out killer. We've shot a couple of coyotes with them that just flipped over dead. He used the same box of ammo to shoot two mule deer does at just over 300 and right around 550 yards that both died almost instantly.

Like bogger mentioned I would see which your gun likes better, but either bullet is going to perform on game wonderfully.

308W
23.6"
1/12" twist

I've been giving more thought on this as I get ready to buy some bullets and wondered....

Realistically, my shot opportunity on deer will amount to this roughly...

< 200yds......... 60%

200-300 yds.....20%

300-400 yds.....10%

400-500 yds..... 7%

500-600 yds..... 3%

Maybe I should try the 150gr/SST instead and get the velocity based on my real world scenario...

Which would you try first and why?

Appreciate the help:D
The one your rifle likes best... .gun)

No one can tell you what will work in your rifle unless they see you shoot and look at your targets.

Either will be more than adequate for your purposes.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts