Spotting scope tripods for backpack hunting...

jmden

Looks like a real good tripod. I have had a few, and you generally can't go wrong with a manfrotto. I currently use a slik 500 with pan handle. It really is a boarderline packable scope. This tripod is the best I've seen that is packable from them. It seems awfully cheap.

Cheers

Just got this tripod. For the price, it seems quite lightweight and very adaptable. The pistol grip with the video/still switchable function head and the 3 angle selector switch for legs gives it great versitility and function in a lightweight package. When in video mode, the head can only pan side to side or pivot up and down, which is great for carefully covering a hillside while spotting. The head and 'center pole' it rests on can be inverted so that the head/pistol grip is below the intersection of the legs making for a great, lightweight tripod for macro shots with the camera (not LRH, I know, but a great funtion of a tripod and something I always look for). The five section legs allow it to function as a tabletop tripod or nearly 4' high extended. There's even a bubble level to boot. All in all a hard to beat compromise between function, weight and price. Check it out.

Looks like a nice system. Mine is the old Slik 450 G. My partner broke the head system last coyote season, but nice thing about Slik is their CS. I called and they're just sending me the parts to fix it myself. It's a cheap unit really, but very compact, and just tall enuf for me to use it from sitting, and pans well. It holds my portable WEaver Big Eyes steady, and that's good enuf for me.

Looks like a nice system. Mine is the old Slik 450 G. My partner broke the head system last coyote season, but nice thing about Slik is their CS. I called and they're just sending me the parts to fix it myself. It's a cheap unit really, but very compact, and just tall enuf for me to use it from sitting, and pans well. It holds my portable WEaver Big Eyes steady, and that's good enuf for me.

Steve i wonder how much larger that tripod is comapred to our Slik's

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.