Tripods for shooting and spotting scope

new shooter

Is there a lightweight but strong tripod for a chronograph and spotting scope and rangefinder that you could use to shoot off of? I would like to be able to be spotting but then when I see an animal be able to pivet the spotting scope to one side then use the top of the tripod for a good stable rest for the rifle. the tripod needs to hold 16 pounds. thank you for your input.

Bogen or manfrotto, weighs in the 3.5- 5 Lb range, check their site, can be had in aluminum or carbon
nmhunter

MTM makes this:

008-SST.jpg

got a MTM, picture is far better than actual product. mine is now in the junk drawer
nmhunter

Hello Everyone! I've been looking for an upgrade for my scope tripod and I need input before purchasing one. Vortex Optics Pro is number one on my list since I've heard a lot of good reviews about it. I read one here that keeps me interested.

Do you have any more suggestion? I would really appreciate it. I am new to this community and I am glad I came across to this site.

Have a great day!

Is there a lightweight but strong tripod for a chronograph and spotting scope and rangefinder that you could use to shoot off of? I would like to be able to be spotting but then when I see an animal be able to pivet the spotting scope to one side then use the top of the tripod for a good stable rest for the rifle. the tripod needs to hold 16 pounds. thank you for your input.
Best method is to use quick release plates mounted to your spotter, binoculars, range finder and a V-bracket for your rifle. This way you can quickly change from one to another.

The sturdier the tripod, the heavier it will be. My Manfrottos are a pain to haul around in the mountains, so I ended up with a Slick CF unit. It has three twist lock sections and collapses down nicely to fit in my pack, with a low profile Manfrotto head mounted. I prefer to sit for spotting, so it's Rock solid. At full extension, in the wind, not as sturdy as the heavy tripods.

Last edited:
Really right Stuff period.
Love the anvil head on my 24 but have leveling base on my 34. Amazing.

Have a manfrotto and it's great for my AR10/15 hunting needs. I would get a traditional ball mount not the joystick. Also, TNVC's Nightstalker is getting really great reviews and is a nice budget option, considering picking one up because between children shooting and spotting scopes I really need like three-four tripods:(

Check out field optics research. Really nice light tripods that can handle the weight. And affordable.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.