Spotting Scope Suggestions $600-$800

drenner43

I'm trying to sell my angled Alpen spotting scope to buy a new straight spotter. Would like to stay between $600-$800. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about the Vortex Skyline ED 20-60x80. I also saw the Leupold Kenai, never seen or heard of it before. Any help is apprecaited. Thanks

Hello, I have a Nikon field Scope25-75x82mm it is a bit more money but worth the xtra $$'s at higher powers. I use it on the upper end of the magnification range all the time spotting mule deer in the open country nebraska sandhills.. love it! I have had a Nikon Pro Staff as well and for the money it was a good scope. Must have a very sturdy tripod for any of these to be up to standards. I have heard good things about the higher end Vortex, but not much on the Skyline. I have buddies that own the Cabela's Euro Spotter and it is a great scope...on sale you can find it for around $900. It is VERY similar to Leica model....whatever you decide i would go to the upper range of what you can afford, you'll be happy you did.

Pentax...you won't get better glass for the money.

Got two PF80ed from cameralandNY and they were AWESOME. I would still have thoe scopes but they would not work as bigeyes in a bracket.

I sold them and bought two KOWAS. They are very nice also but I still say their not as good as the pentax's I had.

Just an FYI. Vortex has discontinued the skyline & skyline ED spotters, and Cameraland has a pretty good price on both versions right now. Have not spent much time with either (just a few times at the store) but have heard good things about the ED version.

I really like my Pentax PF65ED. Small, reasonably light, and great clarity. A fixed power eyepiece will usually give you a clearer view. I have a fixed and a 20-60 eyepiece and seldom use the the variable. Some good buys can be found in the classifieds on this site, if you keep your eyes open. Mine came from here. It was mint with extras for about half the price of a new one.

I have the Vortex Skyline ED and I have compared it directly to the Pentax ED and It is just as good or better. The Vortex has a better focus as you can do a better job of doing fine focus. It is big but I still backpack with it. I guide elk hunts in AZ and I highly recommend the Vortex Skyline ED.

Rod

One of my hunting buddy's bought the Kenai this year and we used it for spotting deer in hay fields here in alberta. It is very clear but also fairly large and I am not sure if I would want it for a pack scope. We used it out to around 800yrds with good success. The adjustment ring is large and was good for using with gloves on. For the money it is a darn good scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.