Spotting scope recomendations Please

NorthernSniper

Anybody got any recomendations for a spotting scope I can use on my Elk hunts? I noticed on this site a decent spotting scope recomendation for the Nikon XL 15-45 and it sounds like what I need. Anything else I should take a look at before I order the Nikon? Thanks for any help!

I carry the Leupold 15x30 compact (brown) It has great glass and the weight and size is awesome. My huntin buddy has the Nikon prostaff and he really likes it. they both are great products but if weight and size are an issue, look at the leupold compact.

good luck

This is what I use;

Groups425Yards005-1.jpg

20X60X80 Swarovski, If I were buying today i would get a 30 Wide Angle Eye peace and a 40 power instead of the variable eye piece. The non variable eye pieces give much better field of view and are a little brighter in low light..

If your going to be long range hunting and spending the majority of the time glassing a single spotting scope is hard on your eye (s). If a little extra weight is not a huge concern go with a set of big eyes. You'll have less eye strain and enjoy your hunt more without a headache.
I have a several sets of Bushnell Spacemaster II's in brackets (for sale), Kowa 60mm and 82mm in big eyes (for sale) and have built several sets with the Nikon Sky and Earth 60mm, and the Bushnell Sentry for lighter weight. I've built some on the Kowa 502's 20 x 50 and in a bracket the weigh around 3 lbs.

I use the Leupold 12-40 Gold Ring HD spotting scope. great FOV and eye relief. Not heavy, but it is not compact in size.
It has worked well for years for us (Had the non-HD version the first year they came out).

Sniper

I recomend the leupold or any good compact in the 10x40x with at least
60mm objective or larger.

I use mine on the lower power for field of view an ease of finding game
and then crank it up to get a good look.

I allways start glassing close and then work outward. Also a good pair of
10x40 binoculars works with a spotting scope if you have a hunting buddy
using them,together they complement each other in spoting game.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.