Spotting scope question: what to expect?

Flyfisher

Hello,
I recently purchased a Cabelas Euro HD spotting scope 20-70X 82mm (made by Meopta it is the meostar s2 82hd scope with flouride objective lens) and am wondering what I should expect performance wise. While at the store comparing scopes I looked at a target outdoors at 350yds with 6mm bulet holes in it with both the Cabelas scope and the new Swarovski STX 25-60X 85mm. I could not tell any difference in clarity or resolving ability (for my eyes) between the two, so I went with the Cabelas scope, especially since it came with a 20% rebate.

My question is with my field experience I had today and what I should expect from a quality spotting scope. I went to a field and set up a target containing a shoot and see 8" bulls eye with two 6mm bullet holes in it and a white paper with several 6mm holes in it. The day was cloudy with on and off drizzle.

My findings were as follows:
300 yds: I could see holes in the white paper and shoot and see easily
400 yds: I could see holes in the shoot and see easily, holes in the white could be seen, but not as easily
500 yds: I could see holes in the shoot and see easily, holes in the white were hard to see consistently.
550 yds: I could see holes in the shoot and see, holes in white could not be made out reliably

Are these findings on par with what others are experiencing with spotting scopes? Am I expecting too much seeing holes in the white at 500 yds? Maybe the cloudy conditions effected viewing and on a sunny day things would be clearer? When researching spotting scopes on the internet some people have said that high end scopes (Kowa, Leica, Swarovski, etc) can resolve bullet holes at fairly far distances.

Sorry for rambling. I will admit that I am new to spotting scopes/long range viewing and have a lot to learn and maybe am just over thinking things.

Thanks for any input that people may have.

See if you can add a lens shade about 3-6" long to it (non reflective black) and see how that helps. To see bullet holes on white targets is demanding a lot of contrast. Nothing destroys contrast faster than a bunch of glare entering the optical system from the sides or above. The Meopta website does not even list a lens shade as an accessory, but for any narrow angle application it should be a must have.

What were you using for a tripod ? High magnification viewing systems need rigid support that can be smoothly adjusted. Once you leave it be, it should be rock solid. No vibration ?

The Cabelas model has a slide out lens shade, but since the sun was not out I didn't think it was needed. Thank you for that advice, I would have not thought of that on my own. I will pull out the lens shade next time out and try that.

As for a tripod, the one I was using is not the greatest and definitely needs upgraded. A good tripod and head is next on my list of purchases. I have been looking at the Vanguard Alta or Manfrotto 290 series. I am leaning toward a fluid head for smoothness and stability. I am open to other models/ideas, and realize the importance of a stable, secure base for viewing.

Thanks again for the reply and suggestions.

For hunting, I think the Meopta spotting scope is a good choice. I've been evaluating one for a few months. In terms of resolution across the field of view, it's a full step up from a simple ED or HD scope. However, it falls short of a Swarovski in terms of contrast, color fidelity and digiscoping accessories. If you have an iPhone 4 or 5, the Meopta digiscoping adapter works quite well.

You should tie the eyepiece cover to the eyepiece to prevent the cover from getting lost.

Bullet holes in white paper with a sunlit terrain behind the target will be difficult for any scope to detect. That's amounts to a tan spot on a white background and the contrast is just too low to be visible at a long distance. Combine that with turbulence blur that usually happens at shooting ranges, and I think the Meopta did quite well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.