Spotting scope for prairie dog hunting and range

I never end up using the spotting scope i pack while prairie dog hunting. Usually me and whoever i am hunting with trade off shooting and ranging and end up just using the rangefinder to scan the dogtowns. a good pair of binocs i think would be more useful in the field than a spotting scope.

I'm with Krueger on this one , but I prefer to scan for Pdogs with a light 7X Binoc. , especially when doing this for many hours . I can spot Pdogs out to roughly 1000 Yards in the bare ground States where I shoot ( even with my old eyes ) . Since my Scopes are all at lease 15X , I don't use a Spotting Scope even for looking at 100 Yard Targets . For long range Target work or spotting big game at very long Range a Spotting Scope would come in handy .

I shoot from one of those Outers swivel gadgets, and look for PD's with my riflescope. It's a Zeiss, and after all day my eyes aren't tired.

This does not work so good with lesser scopes. My partner uses binocs.

I think a spotter would just take up sp0ace as far as I am concerned.

Now, if you had a good one with a camera mount, I can see an opportunity for some neat shots.

HM

Going to have a spotter with you? I bought a cheap one, and with I'd gotten a $400-$600 range instead. My next one is going to have some sort of range finder built in. Mil-dots, hopefully. I love them and that way a spotter can tell you exactly where you hit and or how to adjust fire.

I have a 15-45 X 60 MM spotting scope that is in a box type case which I have found unhandy to take when going out prairie dog shooting. The bench rest I shoot from is small so the spotting scope is at times in the way , so it set to the front of the bench but is handy to look at groups fired from 17 caliber rifles. For prairie dog shooting I use 10X50 MM binacs which is plenty of power to see p dogs at 400 plus yards. Most all of my prairie dog centerfire rifles have 6-18 X AO scopes on them but I use binocs to look over the town. Two of the rifles have 6.5-20 X scopes on them but for me the field of view is some what limited when set at 20 X.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.