Spotting scope for prairie dog hunting and range

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by joebeck, Aug 2, 2012.

1. joebeck

joebeck New Member

Looking for suggestions for a good spotting scope for prairie dog hunting and use at the range.

2. jkrueger

jkrueger Well-Known Member

I never end up using the spotting scope i pack while prairie dog hunting. Usually me and whoever i am hunting with trade off shooting and ranging and end up just using the rangefinder to scan the dogtowns. a good pair of binocs i think would be more useful in the field than a spotting scope.

3. tulku

tulku Well-Known Member

I'm with Krueger on this one , but I prefer to scan for Pdogs with a light 7X Binoc. , especially when doing this for many hours . I can spot Pdogs out to roughly 1000 Yards in the bare ground States where I shoot ( even with my old eyes ) . Since my Scopes are all at lease 15X , I don't use a Spotting Scope even for looking at 100 Yard Targets . For long range Target work or spotting big game at very long Range a Spotting Scope would come in handy .

4. halfmile

halfmile Member

I shoot from one of those Outers swivel gadgets, and look for PD's with my riflescope. It's a Zeiss, and after all day my eyes aren't tired.

This does not work so good with lesser scopes. My partner uses binocs.

I think a spotter would just take up sp0ace as far as I am concerned.

Now, if you had a good one with a camera mount, I can see an opportunity for some neat shots.

HM

5. notajeep

notajeep Well-Known Member

Going to have a spotter with you? I bought a cheap one, and with I'd gotten a $400-$600 range instead. My next one is going to have some sort of range finder built in. Mil-dots, hopefully. I love them and that way a spotter can tell you exactly where you hit and or how to adjust fire.

6. tuck2

tuck2 Well-Known Member

I have a 15-45 X 60 MM spotting scope that is in a box type case which I have found unhandy to take when going out prairie dog shooting. The bench rest I shoot from is small so the spotting scope is at times in the way , so it set to the front of the bench but is handy to look at groups fired from 17 caliber rifles. For prairie dog shooting I use 10X50 MM binacs which is plenty of power to see p dogs at 400 plus yards. Most all of my prairie dog centerfire rifles have 6-18 X AO scopes on them but I use binocs to look over the town. Two of the rifles have 6.5-20 X scopes on them but for me the field of view is some what limited when set at 20 X.