Special stories involving hunting

Doublezranch

Over the past couple of years I've read some very special stories on the forum that some of you have shared. Some of them have been heart warming, some thrilling, and some just down right unreal. All of them, no matter how they played out, were extremely special.

Here's my story that's incredibly special to me. My son Zayne had a statewide whitetail buck tag for North Dakota this year. The youth in ND, can hunt their very own season in September. The last weekend of the season was coming up and I was on call at the hospital. I arranged to get a Saturday sabbatical and took him hunting. He called his uncle who farms in a town a hour away and made the arrangements to access the land. He told him that there was a real nice buck going in and out of the corn. As luck would have it, that night he came out. We ranged him at 300. He got on the gun and looked for along while. Then he looked up and said, "Dad, I can't shoot him." I said WHAT? His reply, they are harvesting beans behind him. If I shoot and miss, I'll be risking those farmers and their equipment. I looked through the binos and sure enough through the trees they were harvesting. As we watched him walk off, I told Zayne that was the coolest thing I've ever experienced.
The next morning at church we were all in the pew and Zayne leans over to my wife and asks...Mom, will you take me hunting tonight? She said of course I will. The 2 of them jumped into the truck and Zayne drove to the hill where we saw the buck the night before. Within 10 min of sitting down and glassing they found him. This time...no combine. My wife ranged him at 250. Zayne let the 7 RUM bark and smoked him. He ran off into the cat tails. They packed up their stuff and went to where they last saw him. Blood everywhere. Zayne taught my wife how to track the deer. They found him just shy of 100 yards away. I received a text that read..."Thank you for teaching our son how to be ethical, how to be respectful to game, and being a **** good hunter. Attached was a picture of the buck. Zayne field dressed the deer and him and my wife loaded him in the truck. They went to my brother-in-laws farm to wash up. As soon as they got home we hung in up in the barn. We quartered him and threw him in the freezer. I went inside and I had Zayne tell me the story over and over again.

I've always known as parents we try our best to teach our sons and daughters to do the best they can. To do the right thing. This story is for all of you who bring your kids and wives hunting. Please keep sharing these special stories. It's truly the REAL REASON we do, what we do.

Jayson

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 13
Thanks Chris. There are so many stories like this out there and many of them came from the people on this forum. We have very good people that come on here looking for so many things. Whether it be to find a new load, showcase a new gun, look for answers, and even tell a joke or two. Many of us hunt with our wives, our friends, and most importantly our kids. These stories are a testament on why we do what we do. Thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread and your kind words.

What a great story. Congrats to him on a great buck and to you on many years of good parenting. I'd be as proud as can be and grinning like a possum.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.