Scary Stories

jbs2014

Seeing how it is Halloween this month and I love a scary story, can you all share some creepy experiences you have had while out hunting/ shooting in the woods? I don't care if it's Bigfoot, UFOs, or ghosts anything creepy is fine by me.

I live in North Alabama. When I was 12 years old, my mother would drive me about 4 miles to drop me off to hunt in the morning in the dark. She dropped me & my Winchester 1300 pump with slugs off one morning and I started walking through a field with tall sage grass. I heard something moving to my right in the sage about 25 ft away. I shined the flashlight over there and two big yellow eyes turned towards me just glowing and the eyes seemed like they were a mile apart from each other. I held the flashlight on it and when I started walking again they eyes turned forward where I couldn't see them and it moved with me. When I would stop it would stop and turn eyes towards me again. This happened many times. This may not seem scary at all but I can tell you it was for a 12 year old kid who had heard a few stories of big cats from coon hunters around here and a few stories of when we had snow there was a couple sightings. Anyway, I got to my tree stand at the edge of the tree line and the entire duration holding my flashlight on it and climbed the tree with my flashlight in my mouth holding it on those eyes. When I got to the top of the tree I couldn't hold on the eyes till I climbed on up to the platform but they eyes wasn't there any more. I never heard it leave but it wasn't there anymore when it got daylight. What ever it was, it was very stealthy moving through the sage. I don't know why or how I couldn't see it's body. All I could see was those huge glowing yellow eyes reflecting back at my flashlight. I guess that was as scared as I have ever been as a kid. I don't know why I didn't shoot at it. I guess I didn't have confidence in hitting it with that old 28" bbl 12 gauge with slugs as scared as I was. If you've never felt like something was stalking you, then I guess you don't know what that feels like but I had that gut feeling that it was stalking me. Trust me, it's not a good feeling. In the late 90s, my neighbors brother in-law got some footage of a big dark colored cat ( bigger than a bob cat) with a long tail. It was recorded about a half of a mile from my parents house. I haven't heard any stories or sightings around here since the late 90s.

When my older daughter (now 29) was 11, she had mule deer hunt in AZ. Driving out one morning at about 4:00am, full dark, had a strange occurrence, still no explanation.

Driving, not a soul in sight on the road, not a cloud in the dark night sky, in an open top Jeep. The entire desert, as far as the eye could see, turned glowing green, like looking through a pair of night vision goggles. For like 10 seconds. I looked up, all around, no visible light source. No meteor, no spotlight, no planes/helos, no cars, nothing.
I am still not sure if we were abducted by aliens and then had our memory wiped.

I live in North Alabama. When I was 12 years old, my mother would drive me about 4 miles to drop me off to hunt in the morning in the dark. She dropped me & my Winchester 1300 pump with slugs off one morning and I started walking through a field with tall sage grass. I heard something moving to my right in the sage about 25 ft away. I shined the flashlight over there and two big yellow eyes turned towards me just glowing and the eyes seemed like they were a mile apart from each other. I held the flashlight on it and when I started walking again they eyes turned forward where I couldn't see them and it moved with me. When I would stop it would stop and turn eyes towards me again. This happened many times. This may not seem scary at all but I can tell you it was for a 12 year old kid who had heard a few stories of big cats from coon hunters around here and a few stories of when we had snow there was a couple sightings. Anyway, I got to my tree stand at the edge of the tree line and the entire duration holding my flashlight on it and climbed the tree with my flashlight in my mouth holding it on those eyes. When I got to the top of the tree I couldn't hold on the eyes till I climbed on up to the platform but they eyes wasn't there any more. I never heard it leave but it wasn't there anymore when it got daylight. What ever it was, it was very stealthy moving through the sage. I don't know why or how I couldn't see it's body. All I could see was those huge glowing yellow eyes reflecting back at my flashlight. I guess that was as scared as I have ever been as a kid. I don't know why I didn't shoot at it. I guess I didn't have confidence in hitting it with that old 28" bbl 12 gauge with slugs as scared as I was. If you've never felt like something was stalking you, then I guess you don't know what that feels like but I had that gut feeling that it was stalking me. Trust me, it's not a good feeling. In the late 90s, my neighbors brother in-law got some footage of a big dark colored cat ( bigger than a bob cat) with a long tail. It was recorded about a half of a mile from my parents house. I haven't heard any stories or sightings around here since the late 90s.
That was a pretty good one. I saw something on the History channel about big cats roaming the suburbs. Maybe you saw a big cat, or maybe you saw something else...

When my older daughter (now 29) was 11, she had mule deer hunt in AZ. Driving out one morning at about 4:00am, full dark, had a strange occurrence, still no explanation.

Driving, not a soul in sight on the road, not a cloud in the dark night sky, in an open top Jeep. The entire desert, as far as the eye could see, turned glowing green, like looking through a pair of night vision goggles. For like 10 seconds. I looked up, all around, no visible light source. No meteor, no spotlight, no planes/helos, no cars, nothing.
I am still not sure if we were abducted by aliens and then had our memory wiped.

Did you get to finish you're Mule Deer Hunt?
Was this near the Superstition Mountains? I hear all manner of strange things happen there. Please tell me this did not happen near Sonoita.

That was a pretty good one. I saw something on the History channel about big cats roaming the suburbs. Maybe you saw a big cat, or maybe you saw something else...
I can say for sure it was a big cat but I kinda think it might have been. I've talked to more they one coon hunter who had saw a big cat in the 80s & early 90s. One said that the big cat he saw wasn't black but dark colored. The other fellow said the one he saw looked like a shade of brown.

Last edited:
I can say for sure it was a big cat but I kinda think it might have been. I've talked to more they one coon hunter who had saw a big cat in the 80s & early 90s. One said that the big cay he saw wasn't black but dark colored. The other fellow said the one he saw looked like a shade of brown.
Cat or not, I bet those yellow eyes you saw were pretty creepy though

This is not a hunting story but it was one of my hunting buddies who pulled up in my yard about 11pm one night and honked the horn. He lived about 2 miles south of me. Me and my wife came out and he said" look North , there must be a huge fire. We looked dead north and there was a weird red glow across the horizon but it was very low to the horizon. If it was 15 or 30 miles north, then it would have had to be a fire aprx. 15 to 30 miles wide. He drove 30 miles north and never saw a fire but he could still see it and I could still see it when he come back by my house but it had then shifted west as far as it was originally wide. We wrote it off to being the northern lights but I don't even really know if it's possible or not to see the northern lights in Alabama, Who knows, some of you may be laughing your butt off at me for even considering that I might be able to see northern lights in Alabama. This was in the early 2000s

When I was old enough to walk into town and hit the local movies by myself i hit as many as i could....gas was .25 per gallon...movie was .75....watched everything i could....but it was always dark outside when the movie was over...1/2 mile walk to the top of the bridge...last lite coming up at the intersection..and I lived a half mile from there..dark road..no lights..along the river.....but the scary part was the ramp from he bridge....i would sneak down to the lower section..very lightly stepping not to make any noise thru the bridge......then bust a lung running at a sprint the last half mile...nonstop to the front door at the house.....whats so scary.....well..under the bottom of thexramp to the bridge someone been practicing pagon worshipping..how do i know...i went under there one day..found the painted signs...and the severed goats head.......everytime I ran from that bridge I was the fastest kid in the world........but I always knew someone was right behind me.....

Last edited:
When I was old enough to walk into town and hit the local movies by myself i hit as many as i could....gas was .25 per gallon...movie was .75....watched everything i could....but it was always dark outside when the movie was over...1/2 mile walk to the top of the bridge...last lite coming up at the intersection..and I lived a half mile from there..dark road..no lights..along the river.....but the scary part was the ramp from he bridge....i would sneak down to the lower section..very lightly stepping not to make any noise thru the bridge......then bust a lung running at a sprint the last half mile...nonstop to the front door at the house.....whats so scary.....well..under the bottom of thexramp to the bridge someone been practicing pagon worshipping..how do i know...i went under there one day..found the painted signs...and the severed goats head.......everytime I ran from that bridge I was the fastest kid in the world........but I always knew someone was right behind me.....
I have heard of folks getting chased through the woods because they happened upon a group doing some sort of pagan worship or something like it. It makes one think about what really happens to all the missing people that are reported every year. Sure a lot of them could be organized crime/cartel related but one has to wonder about some of the others.

Not hunting but fishing.

While visiting my mother's house located in a lakeside retirement village in Florida I had enough of forced routine and decided to do some pre dawn fishing at the lake. I sat on a bench located about 8 feet from the water's edge and looked out over the lake and thought about breakfast. Seeing a ripple by moon light, I turned on my flashlight to see two eyes about 1 foot apart closing in on me about 50 feet away. A real big gator. I was able to get behind the bench real quick and then retreated.

There was a recent story about a young child being attacked and killed by a gator in a lake, less than 10 miles away from where my situation happened. I guess I could be killed & eaten by a great white shark while surf fishing at Cape Cod. Not on top of food chain. Mom used to feed the small gators until management told her to stop doing it. Then there were killer whales and bears in Alaska.

Back in the 50's when I was about 12 or 13 a friend of mine live "out in the country" of NE Pa. His Dad was fire chief in the area & we spent a lot of time in the firehouse shooting pool. On the eve of opening day of deer season my Dad dropped me & 2 other friends at the firehouse to join my nbuddy on the hunt. We had heard some talk about a super large black bear roaming the county but had never seen a bear in our area. At that time a large bear was around 400 to 450 lbs. Next morning we get up at 4am. Grab a bowl of cereal & head out to our stands. Walking up the hill in the dark we heard the usual night noises of small animals. Then we heard what sounded like a growl. We shined our lights all around but nothing. A few more yards up the trail we heard it again. Shine the lights & again nothing. We waited a few minutes & complete silence. So we start again. This time it sounded like a roar! Shined the lights to the top of the hill & there stood this huge black bear on it's hind legs growling & snapping & shaking it's head! Well these 4 kids with rifles & packs could have beat Jesse Owens in the 400 that day!! We made it to the firehouse & stayed there until 9 am when we were sure it was light enough to see everything before we went out again! I think I changed my underwear also. LOL Found out later that month a hunter took a near record bear about a quarter mile from that firehouse! I think it weighed close to 400. Never again did we venture out before daylight. True story. Sadly 2 of those friends have passed.

Back in the 50's when I was about 12 or 13 a friend of mine live "out in the country" of NE Pa. His Dad was fire chief in the area & we spent a lot of time in the firehouse shooting pool. On the eve of opening day of deer season my Dad dropped me & 2 other friends at the firehouse to join my nbuddy on the hunt. We had heard some talk about a super large black bear roaming the county but had never seen a bear in our area. At that time a large bear was around 400 to 450 lbs. Next morning we get up at 4am. Grab a bowl of cereal & head out to our stands. Walking up the hill in the dark we heard the usual night noises of small animals. Then we heard what sounded like a growl. We shined our lights all around but nothing. A few more yards up the trail we heard it again. Shine the lights & again nothing. We waited a few minutes & complete silence. So we start again. This time it sounded like a roar! Shined the lights to the top of the hill & there stood this huge black bear on it's hind legs growling & snapping & shaking it's head! Well these 4 kids with rifles & packs could have beat Jesse Owens in the 400 that day!! We made it to the firehouse & stayed there until 9 am when we were sure it was light enough to see everything before we went out again! I think I changed my underwear also. LOL Found out later that month a hunter took a near record bear about a quarter mile from that firehouse! I think it weighed close to 400. Never again did we venture out before daylight. True story. Sadly 2 of those friends have passed.
That's something you'll never forget!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.