Something to mess around with.

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by TannerGun, Nov 12, 2011.

1. TannerGun

TannerGun Well-Known Member

Alright guys... I just picked up my own reloading stuff (RCBS Rock Chucker Kit) and I've been using a friends for quite a while. My hunting loads are dialed in for the 2 rifles I do have (300 Apex shooting 180 TTSX and 280 Rem shooting 140 Partitions).

Here's the thing.... I'm BORED! I want something to work up loads for and shoot real far out with :D Just something to try to burn the barrel out on. I'm thinking 7WSM, perhaps in the Winnie 70 Flavor, or something like that.

I'm trying to keep it kinda cheap, doesn't have to be light, and I really like 6.5 and 7mm boolits. What say you?

2. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

If you want to burn a barrel out, get yourself a 6.5x284 or a 7mm RUM and shoot it a lot.

3. TannerGun

Would you go 7RUM over 7WSM? I think WSM would be easier to shoot a lot... pertaining to the increase in boot.

4. Gary Kaney

Gary Kaney Well-Known Member

PM Sent

5. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

You would get more life out of the WSM and slightly less recoil.

6. TannerGun

Yeah... Don't really have any desire for a RUM to be honest... I just like those fat little cartridges!

7. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

You could go 284 Winchester. Give's a little better barrel life than the 7WSM and you'll probably be the only kid on the block with the original caliber.

Tank

8. TannerGun

I love the idea of a 284... but I've got a lightweight 280. Ultimate hunting rifle IMO, for where I hunt, and I want this rig to just be something I can set down on the ground and shoot all afternoon for schitz and giggles.

9. retiredcpo

retiredcpo Well-Known Member

I was battling just about the same question jsut slightly differant
    I went with the remington sps in 308
    One I was looking at real hard was the savage LRH in 6.5x284
    balistics are nice but will burn a barrel faster but your not worried about that
    Should shoot way out there
    retiredpo