some range info on my .243 wssm rouge

308 nate

I will start by saying this cartridge has surpassed my expectations.

The make up of the rifle:
McMillan A-5
Savage 16
Broughton 5C 1 in 7, 31" finish
chambered in .243 WSSM Rouge 262 neck
This chambering is designed for the 115 D-TAC and I'm anxious to try Richard's 120's when he gets a chance to get some to me.
I have only put together 1 load but there is really no need to look any further.
Winchester WSSM brass (sorted by weight)neck turned to 260
flash hole and primer pocket reamed
reloader 22 45grs.
D-TAC 115 into lands
FGM 210 primers
M.V 3120 fps.

The 31" barrel was meant to go in a barrel block but I really wanted to do some testing so I put it on my .260 AI and it shoots so good I almost don't want to take it off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I like pictures so here are some pictures of some shooting I did tonight.

The group on the steel target is a 3-shot group at 600 yds.off the bi-pod.

A month ago I did shoot this rifle in an "F" class match and came in 3rd. but I was happy with that as I was shooting match style with a sling. It is awesome when you can call every shot to your score keeper. This was my first time shooting with the sling and I think I'm going to invest in some iron sights so I can shoot with the match rifle guys instead of the "F" class.

Congrats to our very own "300win" who won the match. He only lost 3 points out of 45 rounds!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
followed by Richard schatz and myself ( I seem to be a little slow on picking up on the wind.)

Well, enjoy the pics
P.S how do you like the shooting mat???
It was custom built for me by my wife, who spoils me rotten /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif it folds into a rifle case. it has a hidden pocket for a 1911 and bolt flag and has a flip down padded flap that has 30 case holders. The entire inside of the mat is neoprene lined and has extra padding for the elbows and leather on top of that.There is a couple clips for the sling when it is folded for ease of carying.My wife hasn't been shooting with me this summer because she is in the process of growing a new long range shooter, only 3 months to go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

308nate

243wssm1.jpg

wssmshot1.jpg

wssm3-1.jpg

targetw.jpg

2432.jpg

Glad to see that the 243 wssm is working for you. I think that they get a undeserved bad rep from poor factory rifle barrels. Savages are hard to beat for the money. I always say i'm going to make the next rifle a remington or custom, but always end up bringing a savage action home. nice rig and good shooting

SScoyote,
You better believe I'll use it for long range coyote hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
but not until I can afford a Swarovski range finder, hopefully by this hunting season. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

308nate

reed mosser,
yes, the Savage actions are hard to beat,for a lot of reasons. I won't say that they will make a better rifle than a Remington,but the remington has to work pretty hard to keep up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
nate

308Nate,

I'll 'roger that' to all that has been said above. You''ve surely completed some good work on that rig.

However, I'm gonna have to give the big kudos to you wife's handy work. I"ve been two days messing with the design of what she made for you. Plus it looks like she knows what she's doing from both shooting and sewing perspectives. Now that's a combination that's hard to beat. Plus being able to grow new shooters. She has got to be a keeper!

I know of a couple of us who are looking for exactly what your shooting pad does.

I'm figuring that as long as she can still belly up to and reach the sewing machine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif maybe she could help you get that Svaro a little sooner.

What do you think?

Roy,
Yes, she is definately a keeper. I have talked to her about making these for me to sell and she is open to the idea but I'll have to buy an upholstery machine as she did this on a Singer foot tredle machine and it was maxing it going through all the layers. I will try to start another post this evening with pictures of all the features and a place for others to give input as to what they would want changed(if anything). Thanks for the compliments on the rifle and the shooting mat and thanks from my wife too.
308nate

Hi Nathan, who is going to keep me on my toes if you are not going to shoot F class? Great looking rifle, great group. I will have to come and visit you one of the evenings. I have been busy getting my lathe and mill up and running. Have not done much shooting since the last match with it being so dry where I shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Still want to flute that 308 bolt. See you later, good shooting!

Good to hear from you steve.
I also have not done much shooting. We did get 2" of rain
about 5 days ago and just had to get out and do some shooting on Saturday and man did things just work...
If I shoot in September, it will probably be "F" class as I'm not ready to dish out $500 for some irons. I think a good range finder will come first. Sorry about not getting back to you on the bolt fluting I have been so busy. It would be great to have you come over some evening or weekend. We could do some shooting at my steel targets and get that bolt fluted.
How are things going with the lathe and mill? Have you been doing some gun work on them yet?
Give me a jingle and we'll work out a time.
308nate

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.