.243 wssm

I shoot a 243 win and can tell you it is no slouch on out there. My longest shot has been on a whitetail doe at something over 400. The load was a Speer boat tail 100 gr don't recall the exact load but it was moving out at approx. 2950. The deer dropped after taking 3 or 4 steps.
I can't see the 243 wssm doing anything less. Barrel might not survive a lot of load development though.

I agree, the .243 is a very good cartridge that is often turned down and underestimated.

I have an Oly Arms 243wssm and have two loads that work well. The 80 grain Barnes TTSX runs 3300 fps and the 55 grain Sierra runs 4100fps both with absolutely incredible accuracy. During load development, I settled for a 200 yard zero. With a BDC reticle, I easily took out basketball sized targets out to 500 yards from a rest. It was actually toooo easy! Loading has been a little difficult with the brass. I bought a Redding body die and am able to move the shoulder back where I need it.

Back to the 243 WSSM....I appears to be the ballistic twin to the 6mm Rem. Both of these chamberings have hard to find brass.

If you want more performance I think you would be better off making a 6mm-284 than a 240 weatherby. Quality 6.5-284 Lapua brass is available. It is easy to neck down to 6mm. I built three 6mm-284s to date. One heavy and two sporters.

The heavy now has over 1050 rounds through it and still shoots wonderfully tight groups with 105 Berger hybrids at 3445 fps. Brass has been fired 9 times and still has tight primer pockets and has been trimmed once.

One sporter is a Rem 700 SA with a 24" 243 barrel rechambered to 6mm-284. Has a Wyatt's mag box. Reamer is throated so the 95 gr Berger classic hunter can touch the rifling if desired. Four cases fit into magazine box. Feeds fine. Velocity with H4350 is 3350 fps. When the barrel dies which may take a few years, a new Rem 243 can be purchased for around $75.

Just to mention...the other sporter was my first attempt at installing and chambering a barrel. I used an old Ruger M77 tang safety and a 20" 243 Rem takeoff. It actually worked out quite well. It is shooting the 87 gr V-max at 3375 fps and is hell on varmints. Short and handy but a bit loud with such a short barrel. Great for calling coyotes.

If you decide to go this route consider buying a reamer to fit your specific needs. Also get the Redding Bushing, body and comp seater dies. I think putting the best products available into the equation makes a big difference in how your rifle will perform.

I would say the WSSM is best suited for the AR's because of the performance it gives in the mag restriction platform is far superior to anything else available.

The only thing you gain with the WSSM in a bolt action, is MINOR velocity gains over the .243 Win and a shorter bolt throw than the 6mm Rem.

I wouldn't bother running one in a bolt action unless you can get it for a hell of a deal...but I'll keep my .243 WSSM AR for life. In the AR platform, it's ballistics are unmatched.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.