Some Quickload help Please !!

Murph

Can anyone please run some numbers on quickload to give me a start point for a load.
My rifle is due back from the gunsmith with a new barrel.
not sure what my coal will be as I have'nt had a chance to measure the chamber yet.

It is a 7mm WSM 25" barrel with 1 IN 8" TWIST, I will be using 162 Amax and 175 smk winchester brass and CCI LRM primers, need some help with powders.

Thanks in advance

Murph

I've not reloaded for the 7mm WSM. But looking only at Quickload and with all the typical disclaimers (work up to your load, your gun can be different etc.)

For both of those bullets, I'd probably start with H-4831 (or H-4831 SC).

Check the hodgdon site, as they have actual max loads for those weight bullets.

Hodgdon lists a max of 64gr powder for a 162gr bullet and a max of 57.5gr for the a 175gr bullet.

The Quickload simulation lists a bit higher maximum for both loads, it also defaults the cartridge overall length much longer than the Hornady data.

Without your overall length, I'd hesitate to actually list the loads that Quickload estimates as your maximums.

Quickload uses 3.160" for overall length and the hornady data lists an overall length around 2.850" depending on which bullet.

If you can't find the powders that are recommended in these posts, post back with the powders you have on the shelf or can easily attain and I can look at those loads for you.

Let us know what your guess on COL will be once you get your barrel.

AJ

Thanks AJ

I guess I will wait untill I get the rifle back from the smith, I will post the coal when I can measure the max seating depth with both bullets. I have been using h4831sc with Amax's but using my old coal means diddly squat. Patience is a virtue I have little of. I was just trying to jump the gun (pardon the pun) and get some numbers to work on. I can get access to almost all powders used for the calibre, but again that means nothin without the coal. My eyes have been goin square using the search functions on forums and manufacturers websites I suppose I was trying to get a quick fix. Like I said me and patience aint bed partners.

Oh well back to the waitin game

Murph

Finally got the riflle back. Its looking good.

25" border barrel, shilen 5 1/2 profile 1 in 8" twist
winchester brass and cci lrm primers
Measured the max oal with 175 smk's it is 3.090, so I will be starting there and going shorter in 5 thou increments, to try and find a sweet spot, I dont want to be running at or over max pressure. cases neck sized to give 2-3 thou neck tension.

I would appreciate any data you could throw up with quickload, powders available are h4350, h4831, h4831sc, h1000, rl19, rl22, rl25,, n560, n160, n165, imr 4350, imr 4831. sorry for the big choice

And if possible can you run the same for 162 amax's

Thanks in advance

Murph

Finally
Measured the max oal with 175 smk's it is 3.090

Murph

For the data you've given and going only by Quickload I'd choose N560 for the 175 SMK seated at 3.090" OAL
64.5 grains gives 2881 fps, a load 15% under SAAMI max and a 91.8% case fill.
68.0 grains gives 3038 fps whch is at the SAAMI max pressure and a 96.7% case fill.

If it was my rifle I'd probably run it at whatever load in between those groups best. I usually try for 90-95% SAAMI loads and 95% case fill.

N560 gives highest muzzle velocity of the powders on your list with comfortable case fills. Reloader 25 is second choice. I like the of the VV 500 series powders. They frequently calculate to give the best performance.

Look I don't want to be a jerk but the advice on these forums is mostley speculative. do you really trust your brand new and expensive rifle to advice from some nameless faceless computer response. I have Quickload and with all the variables I have to enter and going through the powder burn rates seating depths and whatnot I would want to be there myself and do it myself. There are allot of people who badmouth forums like this one because of all the dumb ideas passed around on them, including this idea. Now for a sound idea go pick up a reloading manuel. Why do I care enough to say all of this, who knows.

There are allot of people who badmouth forums like this one because of all the dumb ideas passed around on them, including this idea. Now for a sound idea go pick up a reloading manuel. Why do I care enough to say all of this, who knows.

Murph asked for Quickload's suggested results. It's still up to any handloader to verify that the data is reaonable and safe regardless of the source. How can one do that?
1. CHeck powder manufacturers data for that cartridge and bullet type and weight.
If that's not available at least check cartridges with the same bore and similar case capacity.
2. Check bullet manufacturers data for suggested powders, again for the same or similar case capacity cartridges.
3. Work up loads carfully using a chronograph and verify that starting loads give the predicted velocities. If they don't it's a red flag that the data doesn't match the components.
4. Watch for pressure signs in the fired brass. The lack of pressure signs doesn't mean a load is safe. Some cartridges can damage some rifles designed to use them with no pressure signs. A knowledge of the ratings of the firearm, not just the cartridge, is necessary.
5. Make sure that the data used matches all of the compnents and dimensions.
6. Use common sense and be careful. Substituting N310 for N130 or Reloader 7 for Reloader 17 powder will ruin your day.

But are you saying no one should have posted an answer to Murph's question? I don't know Murph or what he'll do with the data. If Murph can't find the data for his particular powder, cartridge, bullet and seating depth depth in a load book is he any worse off for having asked for the Quickload data than by interoplating a load from what loadbook data is available?

I would suggest that Murph should buy his own copy of Quickload and use it enough to understand it's capabilitites and limitatations. Still, if he was a neigbor who dropped my my house and asked the same question he'd have seen the same data on my computer. If he took that information home and then blew up his rifle who is to blame? He didn't mention that his newly barreled rifle is using a model 1873 Springfield receiver and I failed to ask. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
No harm, no foul, no disrespect. I am sure Murph is a grown man capable of making his own decisions. Let me just state that I am an avid fan of natural selection, it means more space at the local range for me. Thats xxx,xxx psi next to someone else's face not mine. Hey guys I've got some great reloading data for all you Garand shooters out there. Allright here we go, first you take a neck sized 30-06 case and fill it to the top with Winchester 296, then stuff a 240 grain sierra matchking down the neck to top it off. What a shooter! Just remember to use it at your own risk!lightbulb

No harm, no foul, no disrespect. I am sure Murph is a grown man capable of making his own decisions. Let me just state that I am an avid fan of natural selection, it means more space at the local range for me. Thats xxx,xxx psi next to someone else's face not mine. Hey guys I've got some great reloading data for all you Garand shooters out there. Allright here we go, first you take a neck sized 30-06 case and fill it to the top with Winchester 296, then stuff a 240 grain sierra matchking down the neck to top it off. What a shooter! Just remember to use it at your own risk!lightbulb

Alaskan338Lapua,

I see you just recently joined the site, when I read Murph's post and saw that he had included all the relevant info that is required for QL (as well as stating he didn't have some of the relevant info), I immediately felt that Murph knew what he was doing. Looking at his join date of 4 years ago, gave me a bit more info regarding his background.

I'm sure after you've been around a while and get a feel for the conversation style that exists on this site, you will feel a bit more comfortable.

Also, I wish you had put some smilies on your last post, just to make sure EVERYONE (even Darwin award candidates) realize your attempt at humor.

Welcome to the site,
AJ

For anyone interested,

Here is the PM that Alaskan338Lapua sent me. I found it somewhat enlightening.

"Yep :)you :)got :)me. :)Are :)you serious......smiley:) faces? What a woman. I wont clutter up the thread, that i can respect."

I had to remove 10 smileys from the PM in order to post it, other than that, it is exactly as he posted it to me.

AJ

Allright I got it, only talk about guns, no problem. Wwatch out for peooples feelings. Who wants a hug? Comme on lets all get togeaather and have onne big group hug. Did you hear that ruger came out with an AR? What is that like the 15th company to join the AR band wagon. I love you guys lets never fight again.

Ok Here We go

I asked for the quickload data , Not all and sundry's feelings about who should and should not give me the relevant info. lets not get our knickers in a twist. at the end of the day Its down to me whether I use the info given from quickload or reloaders nest, my reloading manuals, sierra software, yadda yadda the list goes on.

I was looking for the info in; to me a more useable format, and with quickload as far as I have seen it kinda has it all on the same page instead of me using a whole tree to print off the data from every other site or resource on the web.

I can assure you there is no way I will be trying to see how many extra grains I can crush into my cases to get 10 fps more at the expense of barrel life. I am looking for the most accurate load I can achieve, and it seemed to me that to have one page to work off was much easier than ten books.

If anyone would like to give me the info I have requested. I would be most greatfull, if they prefer to have their anonimity intact then they could send me it by pm.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with my request

Murph

Finally got the riflle back. Its looking good.

Measured the max oal with 175 smk's it is 3.090, so I will be starting there and going shorter in 5 thou increments, to try and find a sweet spot, I dont want to be running at or over max pressure. cases neck sized to give 2-3 thou neck tension.

I would appreciate any data you could throw up with quickload, powders available are h4350, h4831, h4831sc, h1000, rl19, rl22, rl25,, n560, n160, n165, imr 4350, imr 4831. sorry for the big choice

And if possible can you run the same for 162 amax's

Thanks in advance

Murph

I ran your 175smk's at 3.09" length. I ran it for a pressure of 52000 and at least 80% fill ratio. I also ran it at a pressure of 62000 and a fill of at least 85% fill ratio. I think all the powders you asked for are listed on these to screen shots.

Let me know the length of the 162's and I'll run the same info for those. This should give you a pretty good start on info for selecting a powder. Drop me a note if you want anything else run.

7wsm-175smk-52000psi-25inchbarrel.jpg

7wsm-175smk-62000psi-25inchbarrel.jpg

AJ

Here is some info for the 162gr Amax.

3.09" overall length.

52000psi and 80% or more fill ratio
then
62000psi and 85% or more fill ratio

7wsm-162Amax-52000psi-25inchbarrel.jpg

7wsm-162Amax-62000psi-25inchbarrel.jpg

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.