Some Observations about Powder and Primer Components

Veteran

If I read this article correctly over 40 million new guns were sold in 2020 and 2021 respectively. 19 million in 2021. Now I had seen many articles saying 13 to 15 million but nothing like this.

Its no wonder ammo shelvess and powder shelves were empty awhile
and we are still having a hard time with components supply.
Throw in the pandemic, the Brandon administration, and supply chain issues, inflation, and its a miracle we can find anything..

Of note several formerly online retailers have given up the ghost as applies to selling specifically powder and primers online.
They may start again someday, but for now, they dont.

Recobs in Wis., Greentop in Pa.
Salida Gun Shop in Colo., as little as 6 months ago would sell powder online. Grafs still does but is pretty much dead. Same at 3rd Generation Shooting Supply which did have a decent powder dump in early Feb. now dead again.

Scheels has now eliminated powder
prices from their website, and I guess this means they will rename the store "steels" cause they apparently will let individual store managers price on what the market will bear or what the latest inflation report dictates....February started decently w some decent powder dumps at Midway, Brownells
Natchez, and MidSouth, Powder Valley, 3rd Generation too.

Some places like Precision Reloading, Midway, MidSouth,
got nice deliveries of many Vihtavuori powders except the ones we all want, N560, N565, N568, N570. Did it all go to Ukraine?

Finland is their neighbor you know.

Hodgdon powders and non Enduron IMRs were the main powders we saw arrive to market in early Feb.
Very few Alliants, very few big rifle VVs.

I have noticed a trickle of Alliants here and there the last few weeks, but no real dumps, just short or flash sales of the reloaders.

This last week has been downright dismal. Hardly any powder or primers from any source?

Is it Ukraine? Is the govt. soaking up more supply due to Ukraine?
Or is it the calm before the big wave? I dont know.

But I dont see new online retailers, just ones going offline, prices going up, and not being advertised online anymore.

Still limits and restrictions and the time out olympic games at Powder Valley that we all love to be gladiators in.

Is this market getting better??

I dont think so.

40 million new gun owners.....dont know whether to believe that or not?

But there hasnt been one new powder factory, primer factory or plant built in the US in the ladt 2 years except maybe Midwest Powders, making generic smokeless offerings or a new primer plant on an abondoned military site I read about recently.

I think we still got problems right here in river city......big problem not much is actually made here in the U.S. as opposed to packaged and distributed.

Hodgdons mostly made in Australia
IMR- mostly made in Canada
Alliant -Switzerland and Belgium
Vihtavuori -Finland
,Accurate and Ramshot USA
Winchester USA

March will be interesting one way or another...

Another big Vihtavuori powder dump at Natchez just few min. ago, but again, fits the pattern, all pistol and light to med.
rifle powders. NO Big rifle powders.....

Agreed ⬆️, the way things are going I bet we see another wave of emptying shelves.
I was told that the local outdoor stores here will only see powder quarterly. The last batch was dismal.

I was starting to think things were beginning to come back but evidently not? I feel a bit bad about my current stash and buying things when I can, but I sure as heck don't want to be caught without ever again.

Interesting times we live in.

1645836982729.png

Putin has made comments directly threatening to Finland and Sweden tonight. They had considered joining NATO.

We may not get Vihtavuori powders here......hard to tell but a lot can go sideways quick these days. They are made in Finland.

Yes, there is plenty of VV pistol and light rifle powder right now, but no large rifle powder N560, N565, N568, N570.

In the future, even the VV we can now could be harder to get because of Finlands own security.

I see some powder to sell at internet stores. It seem to be staying around longer too. it's not the most wanted powders, but there is some now.
It's my understanding that firearms sold last year and before is about 6 to 8 million. Factory ammo flow off the shelves. The ammo is coming back on the shelves, and prices are coming down on the internet stores too. Scheel or now Steels were taking people to the cleaners.