So, how do you carry it?

nksmfamjp

When I go out west in October, I've decided the 30 Herrett is making the trip. It has earned it by shooting well!

So, I have one of the old sling holsters. I'll probably use that. What other good options do I have?

Sling seems like it could be a pain in the butt, but not sure.

I have a system that's worked for 45 years. I use a normal size backpack. I put several soft pillows in it to give it some body so I can shoot off it prone, but also can hang it on a tree with a bow hanger & shoot standing off the top of the pack. There's space to put a drink, snacks, other odds & ends.
I put my single shot handgun on a Uncle Mike's sling & put it over one shoulder letting the gun rest on the top of the backpack. I carry my revolver of some sort in a strong side holster.
I've used this system in Africa, AK, ID, NM,UT,AZ & WV hunting groundhogs & deer. A little bulky? Yeah, but you get use to it & it gives you lots of options for shooting positions & carrying essentials that you don't have to hand elsewhere on you.
I carry binos 100% of the time-Leica Geovids are priceless. The only other addition now that I'm older with arthritis & walking problems is my BogPod with PSR rest. I use it for a walking stick & it's always ready for a shot. Last trip to Africa I shot all 7 animals off this.
All this works great for me & I'm never without it.

I leave mine in a soft case and put in my pack she's a 15" Encore. Boyt harness 16"x10" has decent handles but is easy to throw in a pack, had it for years it's held up fine. Just enough room for the pistol, ear pro a, small sandbag and ammo.

Chest rigs worked very well for me. both contender and lrg 10mm auto.
binos on a neck strap with one arm through the loop so the binos hang lower rib area under ur armpit.
keeps both hands free to get through swampy forest branches or brushy areas.

When I go out west in October, I've decided the 30 Herrett is making the trip. It has earned it by shooting well!

So, I have one of the old sling holsters. I'll probably use that. What other good options do I have?

When afield for fall large game, I use the FHF Bino Harness Pro-M with my Sig P220 secure in a Razco holster designed for attach to the bottom of the Bino Harness Pouch.

The problems with chest holsters for single shots is that they impede your ability to go prone fast & shoot & they make carrying a binocular rather unhandy. By slinging my SP over my back on top of the backpack all the above are not a problem. Carrying a revolver/auto on a belt holster makes it easier to get to. Using a chest holster causes the same problems as above.

I've carried my dads 10" .30 Herrett a few times in a leather chest harness. I'm curious what bullets you are shooting and how they perform?

I have a system that's worked for 45 years. I use a normal size backpack. I put several soft pillows in it to give it some body so I can shoot off it prone, but also can hang it on a tree with a bow hanger & shoot standing off the top of the pack. There's space to put a drink, snacks, other odds & ends.
I put my single shot handgun on a Uncle Mike's sling & put it over one shoulder letting the gun rest on the top of the backpack. I carry my revolver of some sort in a strong side holster.
I've used this system in Africa, AK, ID, NM,UT,AZ & WV hunting groundhogs & deer. A little bulky? Yeah, but you get use to it & it gives you lots of options for shooting positions & carrying essentials that you don't have to hand elsewhere on you.
I carry binos 100% of the time-Leica Geovids are priceless. The only other addition now that I'm older with arthritis & walking problems is my BogPod with PSR rest. I use it for a walking stick & it's always ready for a shot. Last trip to Africa I shot all 7 animals off this.
All this works great for me & I'm never without it.
I like your set-up

Hunting as we type. I carry my wheelgun in a chest rig and put my single shot in my pack. I cross body sling my binos. The chest holster protects the revolver when I go prone….and I use a bino wrap on my binos. No problems in the last several years using this system and quite a bit of game taken. Now back to glassing.

Attachments

• IMG_0622.jpeg
    IMG_0622.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 62
Most of my hunting is done out of a tree stand. I put a flush mount sling mount on the bottom of the xp handle and have a typical post style on the front. Then I just use a shortened rifle sling and carry under my arm.