Snowy Mountain Rifles wants your input on ideal walking varmint rifle

OK, so the McMillan Hunter and the McMillan Remington Hunter are not the same stock, but similar. I'll make sure I keep track of the difference for these. Thanks for the clarification.

Mr. Swift, I'll mark down the Manners T5A with their molded in desert finish. I think this will be cheaper than a painted finish and more durable. Sound good?

Geb

223 fluted medium Palma contour 26"
1/7 twist shooting 75's up to the 80's
Chassis, xlr's new lightweight chassis
light tan with big white blotches, dark brown outline on one side of the white blotches.

Shilen trigger @ 2'ish lbs.

Think that does it

Here is something close to what you might be talking about IMHO.

6mm-06
Manners MCS-T3 + carbon fill
M70 LA
Krieger, fluted #6 1:10 @ 26" with minni break
weight 11lb

IMAG0045.jpg

NOW... a walking rifle.

20BR, 20begges - shooting the 55gr berger's. low recoil :D
#3 fluted, 1:9, fluted, finish @ 22"
McMillian hunters edge or Manners MCS-T

Jon

In my neck of the woods, the serious 'yote shooters all use the same cartridge.

1-8" Twist Kreiger #5 or #6 Fluted (I prefer Helical flutes)
22-243 caliber
75 or 80 grn A-Max

Manners T-5A or McMillan A-5 in Desert Camo
Flush cups & Atlas rail.

Jewell trigger

What did I forget? :D

t

What length barrel do you guys run? I'm going to guess 24". And what kind of barrel life are you seeing with that? I would think it would be pretty short but you also probably aren't sending 10 rounds at a time in short order. Sounds like a nice set-up though.

Geb

In my neck of the woods, the serious 'yote shooters all use the same cartridge.

1-8" Twist Kreiger #5 or #6 Fluted (I prefer Helical flutes)
22-243 caliber
75 or 80 grn A-Max

Manners T-5A or McMillan A-5 in Desert Camo
Flush cups & Atlas rail.

Jewell trigger

What did I forget? :D

t

What length barrel do you guys run? I'm going to guess 24". And what kind of barrel life are you seeing with that? I would think it would be pretty short but you also probably aren't sending 10 rounds at a time in short order. Sounds like a nice set-up though.

Geb

26" is usually the norm. Running a 5c or 5r (whatever you want to call it) SS barrel, life is just fine for a Calling rifle. No sir, long strings of fire are bad :D But as a "walking varmint" rifle, I think the 22-243 is very hard to beat. Lapua brass, flat trajectory & minimal recoil. Lots & lots of dead Wyo 'yotes to attest to that. The A-Max is doing a great job of not only holding up to the velocity, but delivering on the smack-down end as well. I'm thinking about playing around with the 90grn Berger for giggles....

t

I'm thinking about playing around with the 90grn Berger for giggles....
I'm thinking of trying 80 and 90 in my 22-250 when it comes time to rebarrel. I would also like to look into 22-250AI to push the heavies better. Think it would make a smoking, light recoiling rifle for F-open class, and groundhogs.

Tank

The BC of the 90 is pretty good. The one thing that stops me is I haven't heard anything in regards to the terminal performance of the Berger on game. This isn't a hunting VLD...

t

The BC of the 90 is pretty good. The one thing that stops me is I haven't heard anything in regards to the terminal performance of the Berger on game. This isn't a hunting VLD...

t

Well... for target and varmint, I think it will be just fine. I would imagine within the first 800yds it will do the same as other bullets.

Bumping this up to hopefully get more input from the members of this forum, the only place we are gathering information from. Thanks a lot fellas and gals. :)

Geb

6x47 lapua
1 in 8
#4 or #5 with flutes
24"
105 - 110 gr matchking, berger, amax
htg or gamescout (preferrable)
lightest possible fill
adjustable cheek htg, double sling studs, two flush cups on the off shooter side
jewell @ 1lb

Lightweight, Lapua brass, easy to form, long range performance is good, barrel life is good. This will favor the chucks and yotes, but I don't think anyone really carries a walking rifle with long range capabilities for prairie dogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.