Snowshoe hare

W

Wyo37

Heading out in a couple of days in search of snowshoe hare. Never hunted them before but I've got some snowshoes and figured "why not"?

Anyone else hunt snowshoe hares? Any tips or tricks? I'll be using a .22lr. Wise decision or would a shotgun be better?

They like to sit in the snow shadow of trees. The .22 is my favorite rabbit firearm. I don't like to eat shot. Where are you hunting snowshoe hare in WY? I used to hunt a lot of snowshoe hare in Alaska.

An interesting note: The whitetailed jackrabbit (actually a hare), found throughout Wyoming is a close cousin to the snowshoe hare and turns white in the winter, except for their black tipped ears. Their digestive system adds enzymes to the poop so that it ferments and they can eat it during times when needed.
We have about a dozen running around our house here.

C0FD7F31-8E4E-404D-920D-4C9186A12685.jpeg

Got these a couple weeks ago near Buffalo. I love fried bunny!
My hit list is to try jackrabbit/snowshoe hare this year.

Well I bagged one. Off hand shot at about 20yds. Tracked it to a little snow cave in some willows.

My first experience on snowshoes was interesting.

I'm hooked. What a way to spend a day in the mountains!

I used to hunt snowshoes in Adirondacks many years ago. Old Cooey bolt action with Weaver was pretty good combo. Surprisingly accurate. Alder thickets, south side, sunny cold day was money! Being single at time, this was groceries!

Serious bunny buster pea shooter there!

That little savage mkII might be the best $150 I've spent. Bought that thing maybe 12 years ago. I saw Larry Porterfield use a brass slotted screw chucked into a cordless drill to do redo a crown and thought "no way that works".

So I hacksawed the barrel to 16.5", used a file to get the face square, and damned if the ol slot head brass screw trick worked. With sk or eley this little gun will shoot tiny groups at 50yds.