SMK vs. Boar Hog

ackiddblast

Yesterday evening me and my buddy luke found some East TX pineywood rooters. The boar weighed 200 and the sow about 120 or so(she had 6 pigs in her)...management /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif , both taken w/ a 7RUM, 168 gr. SMK, 94 gr. Retumbo (load data is not mine got it from 7RUMloader) and this load shoots extremely well out to 800.
334102.jpg

I thought w/ the recent post about the SMK i would test it on the armour plate of a boar hog. It went thought the front shoulder and lodged into the ribs of the opposite side. From "my experience" of shooting hogs it is best to shoot a boar behind the shoulder to eliminate hitting the armour plate. I have seen many shots on hogs 125+ in the shoulder and most result in a broken shoulder and a ****ed off hog, most bullets only penetrate 1-3 inches on a thick plate. I am totally convinced that in "my rig" this will be the bullet i will hunt with. here is a pic of the recovered bullet it weighed 31.1/168 gr.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/334104.jpg

I would like to thank those that have helped me...I am very appreciative for your time and patience.

vio con dios hombres
ac barnett

Re: Not a LRH but...

This is the boar's bladder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, it is of no relevance to the hunt but do you think he had to go?
334131.jpg

That knife is 8" long.

I'm surprized at the SMK coming apart like that! But anyway I have been shooting these out of my 7 stw custom for years. I have not ever recovered a bullet. They just pass through every elk ever shot. I have not shot a pig with one. It would be worth testing these solid copper bullets.

284" 175gr. "X" FB sd .310 bc .530 Barnes X #28445

from what i could tell the bullet just lost the lead core, most of the copper jacket was still there. My first two animals w/ SMK's so i'm confident they will do wonders to a 120# deer.

ac barnett

What I was trying to say is get some 175 Barnes - X and blast some pigs. Then get back to us on how they performed. The solid copper core might do wonders on a tough pig.

I'd like to try a 405 grain Barnes X out of my .458 and see if the pig even has time to squeal.

Kiddblast,

what ranges were those hogs taken from, and wherebouts do you all run around up there?

WE wil be in the Palestine and Crockett areas this weekend, clearing up some roads and doing some finial sight ins. Hopefully we will be able to bust a cap or two on some of those as well. Every once in a while we get a big one or two.

Feel free to check out the photo's from the link below.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.