135gr smk vs 140gr sgk

Dave Schenck

Morning all - I am currently hunting with 135gr smks in 270 but have been advised now look at the 140gr Gamekings - does anyone have any knowledge of this bullet? Sierra advise that it is tougher and will have more controlled expansion but there reply was less than friendly - almost condescending!

Different Types of bullets

Are you having problems with the 135gr SMK's? The 140gr GMK's are made for deeper penetration. It will not expand violently like you most likely have been seeing with the 135 SMK's. It will most likely give you more "through and throughs." More blood trail, and less meat damage. But, if you have been dropping the deer where they are shot, I would not consider changing. That is unless you are totally unsatisified with the job the SMK's are doing, or are going to hunt bigger/heavier game. GMK's for my .30-06 are great for accuracy, but not as good as the SMK's. I'm considering using the new .308 135gr SMK's next year. I had one run (100-150yrds) last year. I don't like tracking deer, I want DRT everytime.

those not in the know

I am very happy with the 135 smk performance BUT the farms/areas where I hunt have managers/owners who know no better and take exception to match bullets on game. Many of my smk kills are bang flops - none have run on beyond 20 yards but these chaps will not believe me. I recently (2 days ago)read an article in a hunting mag where a chap in Namibia could not get 140gr sgk bullets (which he normally used) and had to settle for 135's instead and now will not use anything else! He comments that they are more accurate and more potent than 140gr sgk bullets. I do not want to change - maybe I will just say they are 140gr smk - the difference is only obvious to those who know!!!

I dont know about the 270 But ive trie them in my 7mm rem mag,they are pretty destructive when pushed fast.

Had great luck with 175 MK in 308, never had deer rum past 30 yards, great big exit hole @ .308 velocities. will order some 135 MK for my 270 WSM

Hi Dave..had outstanding target and hunt performance with 140 gr Sierra matchkings....nothing had moved past 2 meters..most dead on spot.Very accurate bullets and fine grouping in my 270 win.

Have now loaded Sierra 135's and note the ballistic efficiency will be better and the bullet is longer....advice was given to me by international marksman Chris v Niekerk here in Cape Town.

Once the rain stops we will be at the range....very little diff expected at 200m....but should get flatter trajectory up to 350m....Springbok better be aware.

Rgds
Allan

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts