350 yds - Varmint Boar Hog

41mag

Well I had to head to the country yesterday to work on my trailer. As such, I generally tote along at least one or more long guns just in case.

The weather was cool, windy, and clear blue sky's a wonderful day to get things done in such a setting. After working most of the day on cutting pieces, and getting them welded in place, I was working on getting the decking in place. Tim was helping me on the final bolts and such when he said, "there they come". We had been keeping an eye out for the local wildlife and across the pasture from the barn emerged a small pack of shoats.
03_03_07Hogs003_0001.jpg

We knew that there would be biggers ones so I took a break in the work and got out the camcorder, and set up the STW till they showed.
03_03_07Hogs010_0001.jpg

Well it wasn't long after, that a few larger hogs appeared. After looking them over real close we could see that they were all sows. For now anyway, we have held off on the sows and been only shooting the boars in an effort to let the sows get a little size and meat on them. For whatever reason, after about 5 minutes or so they all decided it was time to leave in a hurry. Maybe they are developing ESP or something and could feel the STW learing across the pasture at them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway we went back to the trailer and were working on the wireing when Tim again says, "hey there they is a different pack and this one has a boar in it." Well I had just crawled under the trailer and started to connect the wires, but, this new appearance took precidence. So I crawled out and slipped in behind the STW to get a closer look. Afer looking at them and discussing the noticable lack of evidence, (if you know boar hogs, there is a sizable identifyer on there backside), we had all but decided that it was just a pushy sow, but then it turned and stopped broadside. With the extra power of the scope I could clearly distinguish the other male feature. Since they were feeding vigoriously, and the wind had calmed down somewhat, Tim said to take the boar. He ranged it and I held appropriate for the 350 yds on the Burris Scope. When the boar stopped his chasing, and began to feed, he left me with an almost head on shot. I centered the dot on the center of his shoulders as his head was down, and touched the round off. Through the scope I could see the impact as it sprayed and he dropped.

When we got to him as usual he wasn't as big as we had thought only being around 80 or so pounds.
03_03_07Hogs012_0001.jpg

I did however hit exactly where I aimed and this time the 150gr Solid Base made short work of it.
03_03_07Hogs013_0001.jpg

After a few pictures and such it was back to work. After getting all but the wireing done Tim headed up to the house to cook up some awesome T-bones for supper. Not long after he had left, I noticed another pack emerging from some set aside over by the house. They were out about 550yds from me and had the house as a safety net. As I finished up with the new lights, I heard what I thought was some ducks in a ditch which is across the field from the barn. To my amazement, when I stood up, there were probably 80 hogs heading straight to me and were already within about 50 yds of the truck. There were pigs of all sizes but the most of them were only about the size of footballs. I grabbed the camcorder and tried to get them on tape, but when I play it back on the PC all you can hear is the grunting the actual shots of them are too dark to see. That is when a shotgun loaded with something like #4 buck would have really made for some quick pit fixins. Those are the size you skin like a rabbit and just spread out across the grill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good thing, depending on how you look at it, is that there seems to be a whole lot of pork on the hoof for restocking the freezer soon.

Way to go Mike good story and pictures -as usual!

Hey do very many people have hog-dogs in your area ? seems like they could have a hayday.

ceylonc,

Yep any day I get to spend in the country is a generally a good day even if work is involved. Yesterday, even if for only the day was no exception. Great friends, weather and all around atmosphere, hard to top.

Mike,

There are a LOT of folks who run dogs all over that area and the state for that matter. I have been with a couple of groups who came out to this place and had some fun, some hard work, and a few close encounters.

I told Tim that it was all a ton of fun, but that unless the folks dogs were trained to run the hogs back round to us, I would beg out of the next adventures. Never fails that the hog will find the worst of the worst to hole up in when the dogs get them bayed. Even that wouldn't be a problem if they didn't have several miles of bottom land to do it in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey Kirby,

I just happened to have the STW already boxed up and ready when we headed out yesterday monring. Figured I would throw it in just in case. We were really only going to work on that trailer and get it road worthy again. Besides, 350 yds, heck that isn't hardly even a good load testing distance for that rig you built. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That is just the way that place is. You can head out in about any direction, and expect to see something. I never left the barn yesterday until after dark. I saw a ton of hogs, the usual pack of 18 - 20 deer, and ducks coming and going into the creek across the pasture. I definately appreciate the privilidge of being invited to come out there, and of the friendships involved in making that possible.

[ QUOTE ]
mike maybe you can come down and teach these hogs down here to come out and play during daylight hours

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that. Seems these around here won't be seen in the open when it's daylight.

Mike,
The smaller ones are harder to hit and better eatin' anyway!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mike maybe you can come down and teach these hogs down here to come out and play during daylight hours

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that. Seems these around here won't be seen in the open when it's daylight.
Mike,
The smaller ones are harder to hit and better eatin' anyway!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean, I get pretty excited when I catch them out like that. Probably as much as if it were a trophy deer. As for the eats, just about anything that don't have that funk will eat good in my book, big or small. Just if ya got to clean one, I would rather make it count. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For the most part, around that area, they do this when the moon gets up around 4:30 - 5:30 in the afternoon, and generally always after the wind has been howling for a couple of days then dies off.

They hate the wind more than the whitetails, and will lay low till they feel comfortable. Then they head out to fill their gullet. When it is windy that is the time to hit the woods on foot and get up close and personal. I got one year before last that I crawled up to within about 10' of the pack which was holed up in a cane break. I could only see a small part of one big one and had to use my bino's to se the direction of the hair so I knew which end was which. A couple days before, I had seen one head into the cane that should have gone well over 400# and I wanted to make sure that if this was it, I anchored it then and there. Turned out to be a sow a little over 180# but she made for some fine eatin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gimme a holler sometime, I will see if I can make it down an try to teach them something. THey seem to learn new tricks pretty quickly.

did some work for a farmer today got to talking about hunting told me that the hogs do alot of damage to his crops hes going to call me when he starts having trouble and i can shoot all i want good thing is that its right outside town so i can run out after work

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.