Smart phones and ballistics programs

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well, I'm a little bummed. I finally got to upgrade dinosaur of a cell phone and picked up a shiny new Motorola Q w/Windows 5.0 OS. My thinking was that I could just install the pocket pc version of exbal and cut down on one gadget that I always carry. Plus the palm pilots I've had are $h!t. I've been through 4.

After trying unsucussfully to install exbal on my phone I got in contact w/Mr. Perry. He informed me that it will not work on any of the smartphones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Something about he screen size and resolution.

Anyone know of anything besides exbal that a guy could install on this phone. I've got 14 days do take it back if I don't like and I don't see any reason to keep it if I can't run my ballistics program on it. Except I can check my emails and look @ LRH on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif!!

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm a little bummed. I finally got to upgrade dinosaur of a cell phone and picked up a shiny new Motorola Q w/Windows 5.0 OS. My thinking was that I could just install the pocket pc version of exbal and cut down on one gadget that I always carry. Plus the palm pilots I've had are $h!t. I've been through 4.

After trying unsucussfully to install exbal on my phone I got in contact w/Mr. Perry. He informed me that it will not work on any of the smartphones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Something about he screen size and resolution.

Anyone know of anything besides exbal that a guy could install on this phone. I've got 14 days do take it back if I don't like and I don't see any reason to keep it if I can't run my ballistics program on it. Except I can check my emails and look @ LRH on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is funny that you bring this up because I just installed it on my phone. I have a Treo 650 smartphone with the Palm software. I too have gone thru a few Palm Pilots and thought what the heck I may as well try to install it on my phone (thinkin one less thing to carry around). It works perfect!! Strange that Perry told you that the screens were not big enough?

What's wrong with the Palm version of Exbal? I just bought a Zire22. It's small and cheap. I only plan to do one thing with it and that is run balistic software on it. I already have pssf on it and it works fine. I'm still saving up for Exbal. I am a cell phone tech and one thing for sure is the less things you do with your cell the better off you will be when you really will need to make a call. The plain ones never have trouble.

So, I am in the process of doing the samething with getting a smart phone because I am sick and tired of grabbing my PDA and it being dead. I just do not use it enough to keep the batteries charged but then they are not charged when I go shooting.

Did anyone ever get the pocket PC version of Perry's to work on a smart phone?

SES50, I've bought a PN820 Smart Phone to run the pocket pc nightforce exbal on, with no success. Mr. Perry told me the same as OSO stated previously. Guess I should have checked before. It sure would have been nice... -- Don

bailey1474,

I got this from Exbal website:

8eurpzq.jpg

I have a UTstarcom smartphone that runs exbal perfectly. I do not know what other smartphones will run it.

If anyone else is using a more durable phone that will function exbal please let me know.

The UTstarcom is okay but I keep lying down on it when shooting prone. I have crushed it twice causing the mouse type pointing tool to stick. May work better for a skinny fellow or for someone smart enough not to carry it in thier front pants pocket.

Friday evening I went to best buy and bought a 1G mirco sd card and loaded the nightforce/exbal software on it. Today I went to the AT&T store and put the SD card into a couple of different phones.

Moto Q with Microsoft Mobile 6 OS - Error, did not run.

Sansung BlackJack with Microsoft Mobile 5 Edition OS - Two of these phones we could not even see the program .exe file in the file manager.

Palm Treo 750 with Microsoft Mobile 5.0 with MSFP OS - Opened and I was able to run the program. Was not able to see if numbers that were being spit out were correct but I was able to get the program to run. :D

I guess I am going to go get a Palm Treo 750 tomorrow night. Hope this helps you guys out as much as it will help me.

SES50

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.