Small Rifle Magnum primers in 223

Iron Worker

Checking on my supply of primers. I found a 10 + year old box of CCI 450 Small magnum rifle primers.( 1,000 primers) I guess all I can do is try them. Any predictions on using these primers in my AR-15 223 ?

I have some old CCI 200 LR primers that are quit old as well. They are in the White/green/black packages with the black trays. They shoot just fine. I haven't had a miss fire yet.

I'm guessing that as long as they have been kept dry and in a relatively cool place, 40-60 degrees, they should work just fine.

Dan

Use 'em with ball powder, they'll be fine. I remember buying some Federal magnum small rifle primers during the last primer famine. I ended up using them in a .357 magnum! Times were tough back then. I used to have to walk ten miles to shoot, in a snowstorm, barefoot....

I had read that if you use magnum primers in place of a regular primer you need to reduce your loads. Anyone elses thoughts?

I know the Speer manual generally recommends magnum primers with ball powder. I tried a ball powder load with both CCI 400 and CCI 450 primers in my .223 Rem bolt gun. I didn't see any difference in grouping at 100 yards. They both shot about the same. This was before I got my chronograph, so I can't say anything regarding velocity.

I use a lot of 2200 powder in the 223s and the 450 primer HAS to be used. a 400 primer will open groups up to shotgun patterns...or worse!
If they still go bang they will work great with most ball powders.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.