Small Rifle Magnum primers in 223

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Iron Worker, May 11, 2009.

1. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

Checking on my supply of primers. I found a 10 + year old box of CCI 450 Small magnum rifle primers.( 1,000 primers) I guess all I can do is try them. Any predictions on using these primers in my AR-15 223 ?

2. Dano1

Dano1 Well-Known Member

I have some old CCI 200 LR primers that are quit old as well. They are in the White/green/black packages with the black trays. They shoot just fine. I haven't had a miss fire yet.

I'm guessing that as long as they have been kept dry and in a relatively cool place, 40-60 degrees, they should work just fine.

Dan

3. anachronism

anachronism Well-Known Member

Use 'em with ball powder, they'll be fine. I remember buying some Federal magnum small rifle primers during the last primer famine. I ended up using them in a .357 magnum! Times were tough back then. I used to have to walk ten miles to shoot, in a snowstorm, barefoot....

4. Predatormaster

Predatormaster Active Member

I had read that if you use magnum primers in place of a regular primer you need to reduce your loads. Anyone elses thoughts?

5. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

In the BR cartridges we are using the 450s and it cut ES and SD by over 50%.

They are to go to primers for the BRs.

BH

6. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Well-Known Member

I know the Speer manual generally recommends magnum primers with ball powder. I tried a ball powder load with both CCI 400 and CCI 450 primers in my .223 Rem bolt gun. I didn't see any difference in grouping at 100 yards. They both shot about the same. This was before I got my chronograph, so I can't say anything regarding velocity.

7. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

I use a lot of 2200 powder in the 223s and the 450 primer HAS to be used. a 400 primer will open groups up to shotgun patterns...or worse!
    If they still go bang they will work great with most ball powders.