Large Rifle primers vs Magnum Small Rifle primers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by bwaites, Sep 5, 2007.

1. bwaites

bwaites Well-Known Member

I'm no reloading expert, and I'm trying to figure out if there is much difference in the two so far as ignition, etc.

I reload for 6.5, and there are 2 types of brass available, Lapua and Wolf. Lapua has small primer pockets, Wolf has large. I have quite a bit of brass from both, but should I run the same loads in each? Does the large primer require cutting back the powder load?

Bill

2. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

You are loading for what 6.5mm? The 6.5x47 uses Lapua brass and unless it was the initial run it will use small rifle primers. All other 6.5mm's I know of are large pocketed except for the oddball wildcats based on small cases.

In any case, the large rifle primers have more compound in them and I would venture to guess that they have hotter ignition sparks but I could be wrong.

3. bwaites

6.5 Grendel. Sorry, I meant to type that in, (I did in my head, but I guess not on the screen!).

Bill

4. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

Yep, I know how that goes. Brain moves faster than my fingers (thank goodness!).

So the grendel. I forgot about that one. If you are going to form your cases from 220 russian brass, go with Lapua for sure. I don't know about Wolf but Lapua brass is king in the russian. And it is a small rifle pocket. That small of case capacity absolutely does not need a large primer or even a magnum small rifle primer at that. I would go with the Fed 205 primer if you can find them. Good luck.

5. bwaites

Lapua makes Grendel brass, both for themselves and with Alexander Arms headstamp. Identical otherwise. This brass comes with a small primer pocket.

Wolf also makes Grendel brass, which I suspect is simply reformed 7.62x39 brass. The Wolf has a large primer pocket.

So I don't have to form brass, it's already done. I just have to figure out the most cost effective way to get the job done!

I have loaded both, I load the Wolf brass a little light because of the larger primer, but there really isn't a source that identifies if the Magnum small primers (which is the recommended primer for the Lapua brass) and a standard large rifle primer are roughly equal.

I wondered if there was much difference, or if I should just continue my lighter loading practice. The Grendel 6.5 is notorious for NOT showing pressure signs, so there isn't a good way to use them as a guide.

Bill