Skinning knife?

I've thought a golf ball was too small. We've been using a rock about halfway between a golf ball and a tennis ball in size.

I bought the 10 minute skinner. It's got everything built in. Looking forward to trying it out.

For a knife, I use a Browning FDT. Best folding knife, in my opinion, for field dressing and prep for skinning.
That knife looks some what sissified, what kind of steel is it?

I'm a big fan of handmade knives so my choice would be a Bill Burke Pronghorn. They truly are functional works of art with the emphasis on functional. You will not believe what a knife like this can do. It's a little like when you get your first nice rifle lol! Unfortunately they command a pretty hefty price tag of $1000+. Just like most things in life though, the best doesn't come cheap.

Skinning Knifes

Esshup

There are many ways to go depending on what your willing to do with
a skinning knife.

Factory knifes are just that ''factory knifes'' (Just like factory guns).
shaped for all around use and not very good at anything one thing.

I loved my old schrade skinner but in the coarse of dressing an elk it normaly
required at least 3 sharpenings before finishing.

Custom knifes just like custom guns are the best for specialized use ( Like
skinning and dressing).But they don't have to cost an arm and a leg.

Here is what I would look for in a custom knife:

A skinner should have a short ( 2" to 4" )blade with an up sweeping tip no
lower than the back side (TOP) of the handle to prevent the blade from
wanting to turn over when pressure/downforce is applied.

Next a good grade of stainless like 440 C with a rockwell hardness of between
56-c and 58-c with a 18 to 20 o edge.( Softer than this and it will be hard to
sharpen with out rolling the edge over ) A common occurrence with factory
stainless knifes.

Stainless dosent have to be washed off as quick as carbon steel to prevent the
blood from corroding the edge and dulling it.

A good stag or antler(Not Smooth) handle/grip for control when your hands are
bloody or slick.

I had a friend that carried 4 knifes and a steel with him on elk hunts because
he only had to sharpen them 2 or 3 times (All 4 ) on one elk. After I let him
use one of my custom knifes he found one that he liked and was amazed at
how many times he could use it with out sharpening.

I am not trying to sell you a custom knife but if you can find one that meets all
of these requirements it is not uncommon for for them to skin and dress 4 or 5
deer and one or more elk with out resharpening.

Also If you pay more than $300.oo or $400.oo your just paying for the name.
the best knife makers in the world use the same materals and designs as
the less known knife makers.

Remember!! a good shape,good steel,rough grips,proper hardness and proper
edge angle are needed to have a knife with the highest performance possible.

Just my 2 cents
J E CUSTOM

That knife looks some what sissified, what kind of steel is it?

AUS-8A with a teflon type coating.

I have the one that has three blades. A drop point for traditional cutting. A saw. The last blade has a gut hook on the back side and a cutting blade with a blunt tip. I use this one for pushing the blade under the critters skin. The blunt end keeps the blade under the skin while the cutting edge slices it open.

It holds its edge like crazy. I've done probably 15 deer and maybe 6 elk and haven't needed to sharpen it yet.

Eaglet, you have to draw a tag before you need a knife. Knives are for us sissies that actually hunt.:p

I used a Knives of Alaska-Alpha Wolf (with S30V steel) last fall and was EXTREMELY impressed. I quartered and boned out 2 antelope and 3 mule deer before finally having to sharpen. I was also extremely impressed with Knives of Alaska as a company. Shortly after I got my knife the snap on the leather sheath pulled out. I called them, they told me to send it back and they would make it right. In about a week I had a new sheath and a check for what it cost me for postage to mail the broken sheath to them.

That is the only way I had seen it done tell I was 13..

If your backpacking then I use a CUTCO Cutlery: Product Details the drop point straight edge one. My wife bought if for me and wow.

When it get dull send it back and they will sharpen it again for $6.00.

It has skinned 9 deer and boned out 5. I only use it for skinning and boning due to the sharpness. I will not use it for gutting, way to easy to cut a finger really bad real quick..Use my trust pocket knife for that:)

I guess I can break my first post cherry with a comment on this knife. You may never spend better money on anything. I have one with a serrated blade and it skins, debones, disarticulates joints with supreme ease. Great handle to make you feel secure. I suggest getting the orange so you don't loose it. I'd pay four times the amount asked without battting an eye.[

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.