Sinclair Concentricity Gauge

Never heard of Hornady neck bender and have found no such thing in their catalog. As far as nudging the bullet in the Hornady concentricty tool - measurements after show if ti straightend or not.
I just categorize loaded ammo concentricity adjusters as 'neck benders' to set a more accurate representation.
They began I believe with the H&H Concentricity Gauge, which I had and tested long ago.
The whole idea centered on 'fixing' necks pulled off axis by die expander buttons.

We should be wary of any fix that does not address a cause.
If buttons pulled necks off axis, then that condition should be corrected or cleared.
I discovered that mandrel expansion does that, removing the problem that neck bending was supposed to fix.
But this is only one part of runout. Case runout still remains, and the cause of this still needs to be addressed.

@Mikecr I have read that fixing a case with a "neck bender" may fix one problem but could cause a greater condition affecting accuracy in that it changes the IF or neck tension of the round. Have you found this to be the case. TKS

@Mikecr I have read that fixing a case with a "neck bender" may fix one problem but could cause a greater condition affecting accuracy in that it changes the IF or neck tension of the round. Have you found this to be the case. TKS
I don't know if that approach affects neck tension. But I imagine it being bad for bullets.
I cringe to consider high perpendicular forces applied to bullet jackets.
HornadyAdj.jpg

I just use a lee decapping die with lee hand press, I also file a nice v shape just above the decapping pin this way it doesn't bang on the case mouth and can run the cases through it quicker, it's not spring loaded. To the original question, make your rounds as straight as you can. Also correcting runout from a round will not make it shoot better than if round had the corrected runout to begin with, I found it a little better than leaving with really bad runout, I also found you should only push on it once to correct it, that's already messing with tension, don't go back and forth bending it around.

I have tried removing the expander on a FL sizing die and then running it through just the neck with expander back in and got really bad runout on neck, I believe this is because neck get pushed in really far on FL die and then sizing neck by just running through expander will push expander the side since it is just held by a thin rod especially if you leave it loose, it may work better on some dies than others, you're basically using your expander like a mandrel die and a mandrel die is only as thin as neck, one solid piece not some balls on a thin rod.

I've been using a Redding body die, about 40.00 and a lee neck collet die, about 25.00, body die so I can set shoulder exactly the same and collet hardly works the neck, averaging .001 runout, that combo really changed my runout numbers, shoots better than anything I've done so far, I will be getting a bushing die and mandrels, hopefully that works good, we'll see.

I have the Sinclair coming in the next few days. I have problems with my hand so the hand decapper will not work for me. I am trying to figure out the best option for me on a decapper. There is Lee, Lyman, RCBS, FW Arms, just to name a few. I saw some bad reviews on the Lee.

Last edited:
The lee hand press works great, plus you can prime on it also you can make the whole round on it, not that you would if you have a regular press but you can, but I could definitely see leaving a bullet seated long and trying different lengths at the range, also it is easy to use with decent leverage so if you have issues with your hands no problem.

I have the Sinclair coming in the next few days. I have problems with my hand so the hand decapper will not work for me. I am trying to figure out the best option for me on a decapper. There is Lee, Lyman, RCBS, FW Arms, just to name a few. I saw some bad reviews on the Lee.
I've been using the Lee unit for a good many years now with zero problems.