Sinclair Concentricity Gauge

What barreled action would you recommend
The one in progress now is a Defiance action and Mullerworks barrel, I want to do another Defiance with a Shilen in 223 AI after that. I have a Stocky's laminate stock and a McRees Precision chassis I can put them in, so I've pretty much stopped buying complete rifles. Once you get a good stock and a good action, you can change barrels like tires on a truck. It's still costs a grand and you're stuck with them for 50k miles unless you want to take a bath selling them used, but there's no reason to go buy a whole new truck if the body and engine are good.

Ballpark of 3000 FPS? What powder? There are so many variables it's hard to guess. Looking at my shelf right now TAC would be faster than H335, but if you used an extruded like Varget you could be slow. Like 2600 FPS slow if you're working up and aren't using a drop tube, it can push fast on the high end but only if you fit it in the case. Nosler data at 2.260" says 99% fill for Varget, Hodgdon goes up to 27.5gn at 2.200" which has to be bordering on 110%.

My current 223 project is I got a bunch of ultralight 30-40gn varmint bullets to see if I can blow them up from a 16" 7 twist. I got A2200, Xterminatior, and I'm even looking at using some of my 300 BLK powders like A1680 and CFE BLK since they're faster than the normal 223 powders. Part of my frustration with trying to load ARs for precision is that I only have factory Colt carbine and BCM middy 5.56 chambered barrels with whatever gas ports and gas blocks came with them, so reliably cycling can require compromise. I mainly shoot A1680/300 BLK subs because it's the most reliable reloaded combo I have, the 5.56s really only shoot factory XM193 well so far. I have no idea if any of the light/fast combos will cycle or not. Ultralight bullets in 223 loadings from a 5.56 middy..... guessing probably not.

Last edited:
Using imr 4166, just ran out of varget, chronoed about 2830, problem is I got black carbon or whatever on case, guessing I gotta go up in load, can't really find any load data for 4166 but found for 6.5 and 120 grain it is 34gr start and 38gr max, looked up that action too, about 2k, kinda pricey, better shoot one hole all day long. Kinda like that Tippmann Gatling gun and that's close to 5k, definitely different.

I'll be honest I've never used it, but it's extruded, Hodgdon marks max load as compressed, and this is a 223 REM - so are you using a drop tube? 2830FPS doesn't look out of the realm of possibility for a 16" barrel, this test data is for a 24" tube. Carbon on the necks, or carbon all over the bodies, action, and in the mag?

imr 4166 223 rem.JPG

imr 4166 223 rem 2.JPG

$2k for just the action? Hopefully that's action plus barrel, installed - $2k would be reasonable for an all-in barreled action price including a trigger. Stocks run $500-1000 depending on what you want, but that's a very personal purchase you need to feel out. Not sure where you're looking, but the Defiance Tenacity action should be about $900, and a select match barrel from Shilen would be $375, then $400-ish to chamber and install at a decent shop. That leaves enough for a TriggerTech Select to come in right at $2k. Then going forward you're looking about $800 per barrel installed, no worse than a factory rifle, and you should be shooting 2s consistently if you do your part.

Varget is like 39 max charge on 6.5 so 4166 is about the same, I'm at 24gr I'm gonna try 24.5 tomorrow, just worked up to that in bolt gun, was getting some residue on neck of bolt gun at 24gr, no more at 24.5, shooting too. I also ordered undersized mandrel, it is .220, stock one measures .2215, I got .223 Sinclair mandrel, guy at club saves us 15 percent at Brownells so that's why I got Sinclair, I'll get more mandrels from 21 century if I need them, I'm thinking 223 mandrel may work good with stock mandrel in LCD and maybe get .222 for the undersized one, sound right?

Just checked the mag and looks pretty clean, ran my finger in it and didn't pick up anything, bolt looks pretty good too, I will say that's it does need to be cleaned, been a while since last time, ran quite a few bullets through it, I usually don't clean till accuracy falls off and it's time.

I shot before going to inlaws, savage bolt, I would almost Everytime get 3 into same hole and mess it up on 4 or 5th shot and get about 1/2 group, thinking of bedding it.

Good read in this thread, since I am new to reloading and didn't understand the term "run out" till yesterday. I've been getting sub MOA groups out of my Tikka hunting rifle, but it appears there is another thing to worry about and spend my money on lol.

Varget is like 39 max charge on 6.5 so 4166 is about the same, I'm at 24gr I'm gonna try 24.5 tomorrow, just worked up to that in bolt gun, was getting some residue on neck of bolt gun at 24gr, no more at 24.5, shooting too. I also ordered undersized mandrel, it is .220, stock one measures .2215, I got .223 Sinclair mandrel, guy at club saves us 15 percent at Brownells so that's why I got Sinclair, I'll get more mandrels from 21 century if I need them, I'm thinking 223 mandrel may work good with stock mandrel in LCD and maybe get .222 for the undersized one, sound right?
For the bolt gun .222" sounds right yes. If you aren't seeing pressure signs I think you have another grain at least to go up on the 4166.

Just went up to 24.6, grouped little over 3/8, seems to like this charge, no pressure signs, I'll keep going. Also no more black residue on ar cases with this charge. I have been annealing case after every firing, everything is coming out straighter, so far no more flyers.

This is a question...someone in the thread recommended rotating the case 90 degrees while sitting bullet (halfway).
Just had a thought go through my mind...wouldn't rating the case while neck sizing reduce runout as well? At least the part that is induced during necksizing.

Way ahead of you ;) :

Way ahead of you ;) :
Great minds think alike !