Simple equations can help sort the perennial queries

The 30-06 is a great caliber. The 338 WinMag is better. True all around. Period.

However, a similar equation can be written:

The 30-06 is a great caliber. The 300 mag (PRC/Wby/WM/WSM ) is better. True all around. Period.

So that the 300 Mag(s) and the 338 Win Mag
are left to fight out, on a .535" bolt-face, the same battle as
. . . the 270 vs. 30-06 on the .473" bolt-face. And then people might even decide to split the difference and carry a superlight 308Win. :)
Yes and no. Great, good, better best - they are very subjective ideas depending on so many things, including the one who is talking. If that is your opinion, I respect that. Others will have something different for sure. Never the less it's a nice idea.

Funny you should say that about 270 TH. Whether you were serious or not, I have observed after killing lots of deer in Arkansas with 30-06, that my 270 WSM does everything the old ought-6 does...only better. It slams'em to the ground near and far. I do admit the 06 has versatility for bigger critters with its heavier bullets. That was my reason for buying my latest 06. But I have lots of confidence in any well placed shot with my 270 WSM on just about any beast in NA anyway. It's a death ray.
Do have a 338 WM just in case polar bears or dragons pop up. Ya can't be too prepared!

What bullet is THE choice for dragons?

What bullet is THE choice for dragons?
As always, shot placement is crucial. Anything between the eye and the ear should suffice. But if he is flying best not to reveal your location. Unless he's already seen you. In that case, your best option is the Lord's Prayer.

.30-06 is a cartridge, not a caliber.
Your data is flawed, therefore your argument is moot. You are dismissed.
tumblr_mhteffUDpN1rsm741o1_500.gif