++++Silencer/Suppresor++++ ????????

Sidecar, yeah, I feel the same way about that dirtbag. He got several years in the can, IIRC, but it was due to other charges. He got the animal abuse charges stacked on, but they were only misdemeanors. My dogs mean the world to me as well, but the wifes jack russell pushes her luck a lot. My 180lb mastiff puts up with her most of the time, but occasionally puts her in her place.
My feelings on suppressors are a lot different than the batf's . I feel that it should be fine to get muzzle blast under a certain db threshold without any restrictions, and it should be encouraged. Many other countries allow them without regulations at all.

Bigbuck- I'm sure it's possible to take a 338 to sub-sonic velocities, but you won't be making no 1000yd shots. They actually do make suppressors for the 338 and use standard velocity rounds. From what I gather, it allows you to fire the gun without hearing protection and still be able to hear your partner afterwards:D. Muzzle brakes become integral, so those around you will thank you. I'd like to get one for my 338lm. I really don't like muffs on my head, but I'm too dam afraid to fire it without em.

If you look around at that site, guys were making integral suppressors and running them on ar-10's. To get a truly silent gun, the best bets are subsonic rounds like the 45acp, 22lr, or loading down a 9mm.

Sidecar, yeah, I feel the same way about that dirtbag. He got several years in the can, IIRC, but it was due to other charges. He got the animal abuse charges stacked on, but they were only misdemeanors. My dogs mean the world to me as well, but the wifes jack russell pushes her luck a lot. My 180lb mastiff puts up with her most of the time, but occasionally puts her in her place.
My feelings on suppressors are a lot different than the batf's . I feel that it should be fine to get muzzle blast under a certain db threshold without any restrictions, and it should be encouraged. Many other countries allow them without regulations at all.

Bigbuck- I'm sure it's possible to take a 338 to sub-sonic velocities, but you won't be making no 1000yd shots. They actually do make suppressors for the 338 and use standard velocity rounds. From what I gather, it allows you to fire the gun without hearing protection and still be able to hear your partner afterwards:D. Muzzle brakes become integral, so those around you will thank you. I'd like to get one for my 338lm. I really don't like muffs on my head, but I'm too dam afraid to fire it without em.

If you look around at that site, guys were making integral suppressors and running them on ar-10's. To get a truly silent gun, the best bets are subsonic rounds like the 45acp, 22lr, or loading down a 9mm.

Thanksfor the good info. I woud like one on my rifle as long as it didnt affect my LR shooting:)

liberty make's a really good can i have the victory on my remmy 700 308 AAC-SD at 100yds shoots good groups and my poi only changed 2MOA.I have not shot it beyond 250yds "it's my midnight pig gun LOL" with rolled up subs it's no louder then my kid's bb gun:D good luck

Supressors are legal here in NZ and we have 5 rifles with them .22lr,.223,.22-250,.243 and a 7mm rem mag.
its hard to explain the noise reduction but it makes the shot sound kinda like a loud whistle. there is no big boom or crack as there usually is. you can comfortably shoot a 7mm rem mag with no hearing protection.
There is still a noise from the supersonic "crack" but it sounds kinda like a whistle.
Animals can still hear the noise but it is confusing for them. and I believe at longer ranges(past 300yards) the noise the target hears originates right above their head and they cannot pin point the location on the shooter.
I have found this to be true in alot of situations. they are great when shooting with a spotter as you can talk and communicate easily.there is still alot of noise if you are directly near the front of the barrel.
here suppressors for most calibers weigh 300-500grams(10-17 ounces) and can be around 10 inches long. what they do is trap the expanding gases from the barrel and thus slow down the noise so it is spread over a longer time duration so seems "suppressed".
we have had a couple of guns shortened so the over all length is much the same.
people have found the suppressors can boost velocity as they make the barrel in effect longer.
suppressors also reduce recoil by around 50%. they arnt as good as muzzel brake for recoil reducing.
As a suppressor traps all the gas from a shot they get very HOT. like real hot real fast. this is one thing I dont not like about them but it is only a factor if you are firing more then 3 shots really.
generally you wont see suppressors on guns bigger than a .7mm rem mag or .300 mag as there is too much expanding gas to be contained.
suppressor size is usually based therefore on the powder charge being burnt not the caliber/velocity.
Also most guns will have a change of impact with the suppressor fitted/removed. this is usually do added weight on barrel and reduced recoil changes your shooting position.
hope this gives some insight into real suppressors not an oil filter on the end of a barrel.

You MUST shoot subsonic ammo anyway to stay silent, suppressor or no suppressor.

That being said, subsonic .22LR ammo is so quiet anyway that you may not need a suppressor. It uses the barrel of a long barrelled bolt rifle as the suppressor. Semi-auto rifles like the Ruger 10/22 have so much gas leak at the chamber that a suppressor doesn't work well with something like Aguila Sniper Subsonic. At night you can see flame coming from the chamber area, the gas leak is so bad.

Steel wool packed into a rigid cylindrical chamber that is attached to a barrel of a .22LR bolt gun probably beats the best baffled suppressors. You eventually have to repack the steel wool, but it is cheap. A plastic pill bottle is strong enough to contain .22LR gas, and you form the "barrel" by shooting through it. The gun forms the barrel and it is quite accurate. That gives a gas tight seal as well, which no baffled suppressor really possesses. I have seen it done, and the loudest sounds heard were the firing pin strike and the bolt tightening up, and then the bullet strike on the target.

But still, the ammo must be subsonic, and THAT is where most of the noise suppression is generated. The extra weight of a suppressor seems like a waste to me, unless you want to shoot in town near neighbors, or something like that. I'll just keep using subsonic ammo. in my .22LR, and I will have suppression enough. A .25 cal Benjamin Marauder air rifle comes with an excellent barrel shroud suppressor, and it kills small game better than subsonic .22LR, so I would go there if I wanted the best small game silent killer. For the price of a tax stamp and a legal manufactured .22LR suppressor, you can own the entire .25 cal Benjamin Marauder. Screw the tax stamp and suppressor.

Anybody with $10 in their pocket can go into any hardware store and buy enough goodies to make a suppressor for .22LR or 9mm Luger, the two most suppressed rounds because subsonic ammo is available for both anywhere ammo is sold. He will have enough money left over to buy beer to drink while he throws his suppressor together. I know a guy from my distant youth that made an adapter that he screwed a plastic soda bottle filled with steel wool onto. The plastic soda bottle was cheap and tossable and that's what he did with it after a night of popping rabbits in the head all over town with his laser aimed .22LR autopistol. That pistol was incredibly quiet, and nobody ever so much as popped their head out of a house to see what was going on, ever.

Last edited:
Can anyone else confirm how good of a job a suppressor does in the barrel brake department? Does any make one that is also supposed to provide some additional muzzle control? I ask because breaks are quite popular and I really don't like being next to one at the shooting range, even with good hearing protection, as I experienced recently.

Can anyone else confirm how good of a job a suppressor does in the barrel brake department? Does any make one that is also supposed to provide some additional muzzle control? I ask because breaks are quite popular and I really don't like being next to one at the shooting range, even with good hearing protection, as I experienced recently.

All the suppressors I have used are NZ made and reduce recoil by 30-50% easily. A 7mm rem mag is like a .223 to shoot. they are great things.

I can't even believe the information flying through this thread. Almost makes me wonder if it's a ply to trick people into breaking the law.

Stay classy LRH. If you guys have any serious questions, feel free to PM me. Way to much bad info here to take it serious.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.