anyone ever use a quad silencer?

The way I see it, anything would be an imporvement!

That putt - putt - putt effect is as good at warning things as the slap of a helo rotor.

They can be sensed further away that they can be heard.

Thinking of getting one but I want to know its actually effective.

I have built many systems to quieten 4x4s and this is what I found.

I tryed a simple 90o el made of a stainless hand rail with the flange welded on it and found
that the exit end had to be cut at a 45o angle or it did not do anything to quieten the engine.

Next I used a small tractor muffler (Glass pack straight through flow) and it cut the noise
in half with a little loss in power.

The most effective system was the baffled muffler (Oval) but it reduced horse power by a
noticeable amount (about 10%) It was very quite and most of the noise heard was from
the engine.

I finally settled for the small bullet glass PAC and am very happy with it and as Roy said
it does eliminate the annoying put put of the engine.

The main advantage to the added muffler is that it does not disturb other hunters as well
as game.

Try one and you will like it.

J E CUSTOM

The fella that patrols the surrounding ranches during elk and deer season has one on his quad. It's very quiet and the dogs tell me when he's coming up the road. I never paid much attention to it but in one conversation he said it was an aftermarket accessory that he had bought. Anyway it sits across the back perpendicular to the quad and looks like a Glass Pac from the 60's. Don't know if it effect's the power but it is definitely quiet and he said he would not be without one.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.