Sightron SII Big sky vs., Leupold VX III

Birdhunter1

I am looking at either a Sightron S II Big sky side focus 1" tube 4-16X44 MD or a Leupold VX III 4.5-14x40 30 mm tube side focus with the varmint hunter reticle. The scope will be put on a 7mm Weatherby magnum in Burris signature zee rings and will be used for a big game hunting rifle and the occasionaly long distance coyote.

I am capable of 800-900 yard stuff (or at least can be) but I just don't feel it for big game stuff, coyotes I feel better about but I just don't feel comfrotable that distance with shot placement and lethality. Maybe 5-600 yards but not 8.

Anyway I am confident in both scopes and I am just really on the fence. Both are reputable series scopes, both have good glass and both have a god reputation for tracking. So my real questions is which will have the more clear glass and will the Sightron 1" side focus have reticle movement issues when focusing from 100 to 500 yards? I have heard of this happening on some but I've only had adjustable objective scopes and have not had it happen on my .243 (the only rifle I have shot beyond 300 yards, also wears a Sightron SII 6-24-42 AO)

I am giving this thread a bump because I am thinking of a Sightron II Big Sky 4-16 as well. Use is for a walking .223 for woodchucks.

Feedback much appreciated.

Sightron vs Leupold in terms of glass is a virtual tie. Some guys will lean one way or the other, but the consensus is generally that they are virtually the same in light transmission. Because the Sightron is less expensive, it makes them very attractive.

I ended up getting the Leupold. I was just about to hit the 'finish checkout' button on the SII big Sky and I happened to check a pm from a guy on here saying check this site. They had the Leupold I was wanting for a $40 difference over the Sightron, leupold had a 30mm tube vs. the 1" tube on the Sightron.

I would have to agree with trebark though, they are so close it is a matter of preference. For me I don't care for mild dot scopes for what I do. The Leupold has windage marks at 2 and 4 minutes vs. 3.6 on a mild dot, I can guess 1/2 value better than 1/3 value if I am compensating a 1 minute holdover for wind. To each his own, both are fine scopes. FWIW this is my first Leupold and I have 3 other guns with Sightron's, a few Nikon's and a few Bushnell's.

I want to thank both of you for getting back to me.

With the price increases creeping in I think I am going to keep an eye on Leupold as well watching the sales.

After inspecting Sightron SII, SIII, Vortex Viper and Leupold VX-3 at SHOT last year and this year, I gotta warn you that all the SII and SIII variable mag scopes I saw had mediocre glare performance. Vortex Viper scopes were a little better. Leupold VX-3 scopes were better than both of them, although a saw some variability between models. Good transmission and aberration correction don't help if glare is high. Target details will be washed out, if they're visible at all.

For general big game hunting use, I would go with the VX-3, even if the price difference was $100.

Thanks Bruce - seems to be the choice. Looking at prices the Sightron is probably not the deal it was a few years back. Last night I was looking at a difference of maybe 50.00-70.00 from the bigger retailers. Sightron does have some rebates but not on what I really want. They also have been putting a price increase into affect which is creeping into the bigger retailers web sites.

Many thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.