Leupold VX-III LRT or Sightron SIII

Nape.270

Let me start by saying that I have been using a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 with the BDC Redicle for the last 4 years. The front parallax is very hard to turn and when you adjust the power the entire rear ocular moves, so if you have your scope caps in the middle of the power range and then turn it up to 14X with the cap open, you can't rack the bolt. Other than those issues it has always held 0.

But it is time for an upgrade.

So these are the to scopes I have desided on. Why so much power? Well where I hunt there is a 3 point min on mulies and most shots are 400 yrds to a 1000 yrds.

I would bet that thay both have better glass so all that matters to me is accurate turrets that can be capped.

So which one and Y?

Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50 Fine Duplex

Sightron SIII SS 6-24x50 LR MD

p.s. it will be on a .270 Gibbs

Last edited:
I have the Leupold V3 6.5X-20X - 50 mm LRT on a custom 240Wby. It has been really great on antelope from ranges of 150 yards out to 1140 yards. So far, 9 antelope have been shot with that rifle and scope. It is an excellent scope for dialing up and for making sure you are on the correct target.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f26/oregon-trail-antelope-part-2a-24431/index2.html

I do not know anything about the Sightron so I cannot offer an opinion on the difference.

I'll vote for the Leupold. We like the 14X as it has proven top be more than adequate power for 1000+ yard shots and beats the 20X when it comes to light transmission, parallax issues, and putting the crosshairs on mulies that hesitate for a few seconds at 60 yards.

No experience with Sightron.

i don't own a Sightron S111 scope, but i have done quite a bit of research on Sightron scopes in general a month or so ago. 6mmbr.com did a head to head comparison with a Nightforce and Sightron and rated them very comparable. what i found was the S111 line is, by most that have used them, a better scope than the V111's. again i don't own one but just relaying what i've found the large majority say about the 2.

Although the varix-lll is a very good scope,The Slll is better especially in the optics dept.

thank you for your replies. lookes like most of you like the leupold i do to but i am still leaning towerds the sightron for some realion :rolleyes:
agen thanks guys

I own both a SIII and a Mark 4. While both are solid scopes the SIII has leupold beat in the optics department. It is hands down better. IMHO the SIII line is the best bag for the buck right now.

Leupold has made some upgrades in the VX-3 line, compared to the VX-III line. I can't say that the S-3 beats the Leupy hands down. In fact, three out of three different people (who do not own either) have preferred the VX-3 (not the VX-III) over the S-3 as far as color contrast and looking into a partial glare.
Not downing the S-3, it is a great buy for the money.

If you get an sIII make sure it is the new LR model, there are new in box older models still floating around. Don' t make the same mistake I did.

I got the SIII it is the new modle I have had it out twice and I am more than happy with it so far. Im just developing a load rite know. I have shot it out to 900yrds in crappy conditions and it's clear as day. It seams to track good but all find that out once i get a good load it is holding 0.:)

The New Sightron SIII is a nicer scope. It has nicer target turrets - with audible sharp clicks, nicer glass and better deal. You would pay much more for MilDot reticle on a Leupold.

GC

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.