SIG Cross for long range hunting ??

dr.frank338

For hunting on hard terrain or from elevated blinds of very small dimensions, I would like to buy a new bolt rifle: max shooting range should be 500 mt, animals inside 150 kg. (roe deers, wild boars, deer); rifle weight is not a problem, lenght is. Full of long range rigs, 26/28 heavy barrels etc., I need a folding stock and a short barrel. Considering the market, Tikka is a good option, Victrix also, but the SIG looks great. THE PROBLEM: it is not yet available in Italy, and I should have to order it on some pictures... plus 277 looks far to come here. Any real experience or suggestion would be appreciated! Thanks

I don't see any reason why you couldn't successfully shoot 500 mt with one..

Of course, I have absolutely no idea how far an Mt is, and you should disregard my comment.

The best help I could get from Google is that it is a "metric ton".

I'm more confused now than I was earlier.

I'm still pretty sure you can shoot that far successfully with a sig cross rifle.

Sorry, mt is a euro shortage for METERS; it is not the official "m". I do shoot some metric tons (1MT=1.000 kg), of animals, and some MJ through the barrels, on paper up to 1.000 m, on animals up to 600/700 m max with dedicated rifles. My fault !

Sorry, mt is a euro shortage for METERS; it is not the official "m". I do shoot some metric tons (1MT=1.000 kg), of animals, and some MJ through the barrels, on paper up to 1.000 m, on animals up to 600/700 m max with dedicated rifles. My fault !
I thought that might have been it, but I couldn't find it with a Google search so I wasn't sure..

The options for the Cross that will be avaiable here, hopefully in some months, are the 16 bbl in 308, and the 18 in CM... I would get the 277 hands down but it will take years to have it here. I am afraid a 16 for the 308 is really too short... 1 MOA at 100 m could be sadly acceptable for hunting, but at 300 m for me it is not. I never hunt with rifles shooting wider than 1/2. I should need some real field experience from someone

I would be really surprised based on my experience with sig rifles, if either of those rifles didn't shoot well under an inch with good ammo. The velocities you'll get with an 18" 6.5cm should be sufficient for game up to 100 kilos at that 500m mark.

Thanks, never had a CM, on 6,5 I am on old trusty Swedish (Tikka Sporter), and 284. On 257, a fantastic lrh caliber I use is 255 GS, based on an improved Swedish necked down to 257. So you would go with the CM over the 308... do not understand why SIG, considering the Cross borns as a hunting rifle, does not consider 7.08 or 260 Rem. Here in Italy the price will be over 2000 euro, so more or less as Tikka, folding stock and a 20 barrel. If I understand well, the Cross should have the possibility of buying more barrels and change them easily, the Tikka does not.

Thanks, never had a CM, on 6,5 I am on old trusty Swedish (Tikka Sporter), and 284. On 257, a fantastic lrh caliber I use is 255 GS, based on an improved Swedish necked down to 257. So you would go with the CM over the 308... do not understand why SIG, considering the Cross borns as a hunting rifle, does not consider 7.08 or 260 Rem. Here in Italy the price will be over 2000 euro, so more or less as Tikka, folding stock and a 20 barrel. If I understand well, the Cross should have the possibility of buying more barrels and change them easily, the Tikka does not.
I'm not overly familiar with the cross rifle itself, but have reasonable experience with the 2 cartridges mentioned. I own several rifles in both calibers and have taken a substantial number of animals with both. I find the 6.5cm to be a very capable cartridge on deer sized game. Nothing wrong with the .308 of course, but I prefer the high b.c. fast twist barrel combo that the 6.5cm operates in. Inside of 500m, there probably isn't a substantial difference in ballistics, but beyond that 500m line is where the creedmoor really starts to pull away quickly from the .308.

100% agree, love 6,5 high bcs. I just never had "short long range" rifles with 16 or 18 barrels... I use Ranch rifles in 450BM and 300Blk with 16 barrels, and honestly with the right hot hunting hand load they shoot very well at 100, night hunting wild boars etc. , but 3-4-500 m or yards is another planet. Btw, I was talking about Tikka Tact A1 in my previous posts.

A .308 with an 18" barrel is capable of incredible accuracy.
Yes, an 18" barrel is neat with a 308, I have one with 18.5" but is the Cross available with an 18" barrel in 308?
I tested a 16" 308, big difference to me from an 18", too much muzzle blast for my taste, may not bother some.

Thanks Silent, very good advises. I have several Tikkas and love them. My lr rifles are also built on Tikka actions too. I take a look at MDT; the problem here in Europe is that everything in the gun market is about twice as much than in US, and US does not sell to euro customers (some months ago I tried to buy online a hunting SLING, "we do not export anything that attaches to a gun"...!). MDT, If I find the model, will be around 1.500 USD I am afraid, and the Cross around 2.500. Will keep you informed!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts