.270 for long range hunting

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by ash1055, Apr 12, 2009.

1. ash1055

ash1055 Active Member

Hello everyone. First post for me here. My question hopefully does not appear to be ignerant.

Is there any room in the LR for the 270 caliber? what range are it's limitations?
    I have looked at ballistic tables in petersens and it seems somewhat comparable to other calibers out to 500 yards (regarding bullet drop and bullet speed?
    Any insight is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rob

2. Booney

Booney Well-Known Member

The 270 am is pretty impressive for long range the 270 win isn't. So I guess it just depends on what 270 you are talking about,and just so I don't offend anybody the 270 win isn't bad for shooting long range it just not what i would use for hunting long range.

3. ash1055

ash1055 Active Member

I was looking at 270 win.
    thanks

4. steve smith

steve smith Well-Known Member

So long as you have a rifle that can maintain accuracy at the range you intend to hunt at, there is nothing wrong with the 270win. The larger 27cal magnums can push the absolute range way out there, but that comes at a price and it's called barrel life.

The 270win will work just fine, just practice alot and know your and the rifles limitations.

5. txlongrange

txlongrange Well-Known Member

I agree. Run some numbers with the free online ballistics calculators based on load data and see if this caliber is something that will work for you. There are a lot of 270 win kills at longer ranges.

TXLR