.270 for long range hunting

ash1055

Hello everyone. First post for me here. My question hopefully does not appear to be ignerant.

Is there any room in the LR for the 270 caliber? what range are it's limitations?
I have looked at ballistic tables in petersens and it seems somewhat comparable to other calibers out to 500 yards (regarding bullet drop and bullet speed?
Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

The 270 am is pretty impressive for long range the 270 win isn't. So I guess it just depends on what 270 you are talking about,and just so I don't offend anybody the 270 win isn't bad for shooting long range it just not what i would use for hunting long range.

So long as you have a rifle that can maintain accuracy at the range you intend to hunt at, there is nothing wrong with the 270win. The larger 27cal magnums can push the absolute range way out there, but that comes at a price and it's called barrel life.

The 270win will work just fine, just practice alot and know your and the rifles limitations.

So long as you have a rifle that can maintain accuracy at the range you intend to hunt at, there is nothing wrong with the 270win. The larger 27cal magnums can push the absolute range way out there, but that comes at a price and it's called barrel life.

The 270win will work just fine, just practice alot and know your and the rifles limitations.

I agree. Run some numbers with the free online ballistics calculators based on load data and see if this caliber is something that will work for you. There are a lot of 270 win kills at longer ranges.

TXLR

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.