Sierra Gamekings vs Nosler Ballistic Tips for whitetails / hogs

Just got back from the range after running a few loads with 168 Nosler BT and Varget / CCI 200 primers. Ran 3 round groups from 43.2 grains to 45.7 grains of Varget in .3 increments. All the groups were .5 MOA or less, with those two groups looking good enough for some whitetail / hog hunting. I will not play with seating depth or do any tweaking, its good enough for some hunting. I may lean to the slower load at 2,720 fps, deer won't know the difference.

P.S. There are other holes in the target with the x on them, ignore them, they were from crappy bullets I was shooting out of the 7mm Mag to fireform new brass.

4sU2NEw.jpg

3z20r13.jpg

there is NO magic bullet

they all will kill

they all will fail

but its fun to beat this poor horse to death every now and then.gun)

there is NO magic bullet

they all will kill

they all will fail

but its fun to beat this poor horse to death every now and then.gun)

+1

I will say that different bullets perform differently. Ballistic Tips are great if you hit lungs, they will turn them to soup. But, the deer will run. Accubonds always give me bang flop except the other day the deer ran a bit. Never shot game kings because they didn't group well in my rifle. Also how far the shot is will have an effect of whether they run or flop. And, of course, did you break the off shoulder or just go thru the boiler room. Either way, a good bullet placed in the boiler room, breaking a shoulder or not, will result in a recovered animal.
Shoot the most accurate, period.

Let the rifle pick the bullet......I myself like the lighter 125 grain bullets in the 308 for the distances you are hunting........and so does my rifle.

Of the three you list, I would go with the 168 NBT. If you decide you want a tougher bullet, switch to the 165 AB. I shoot a 7mm-08, and my go to bullets have been the 140 NBT or AB, depending on what I want to shoot. Both bullets have the same BC and point of impact, so I use the cheaper NBT for practice and the AB for hunting. Last year the AB dropped a small muley in its tracks at 60 paces with minimal meat damage and the heart and lungs looked like jello.
Wow no need to post my opinion, catamount did it already. I second that opinion Dave

Let the rifle pick the bullet......I myself like the lighter 125 grain bullets in the 308 for the distances you are hunting........and so does my rifle.

Yep, 46 grs IMR 4895, WW case, CCI-BR2, 125 Nosler ballistic tip is my favorite deer killing load in my 308 Win for out to 300 yards. Wicked bang flop results. Matter of fact I use this bullet in all my 30 cal. weapons for deer. As long as you keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps it just plain works.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.