Sierra Bullets New .284 183gr MK

I hope it shoots as good as it looks. That 27 caliber ogive is the sleekest I've seen. Hopefully others will follow suit and make the ogive as long as possible for mac BC.

But given that it's been pointed and has such a small tip it might not expand like Bergers hunting bullets. Maybe annealing the ogive would help expansion. Hope someone tries them on hogs or some such vermin to test expansion.

Wow! with an averaged G1 BC of .703 this looks to be an incredible long range bullet. All they would need to do is add this to their new tipped match king line and I would bet this would make an excellent hunting bullet as well. Kudos to Sierra for stepping up their game.

I wonder why they call for a 1 in 8 twist when berger calls for 1 in 9 for there 180 grain bullets.

I wonder why they call for a 1 in 8 twist when berger calls for 1 in 9 for there 180 grain bullets.
The Sierra bullet is likely longer with that 27 caliber ogive. Longer bullet equals higher bc and faster twist requirement.

I hope Sierra comes out with similar long ogive bullets only with a very sleek tip to initiate expansion. Do that in all calibers up to 375 and we may have the best ever long range hunting bullets.

I picked some up a while back to shoot in my 280 Sherman. They are indeed a VERY long, streamlined bullet and have a smaller meplat and longer boat tail than a 180 Berger. My initial tests did not show the accuracy (at 100 yds.) that the Berger did but that was with only one powder. I am going to retest them with a case full of RL33 and see what happens. My initial test was with RL26 and I shot some at over 3100'. The accuracy was at about .6-.7 moa at 3000' but the Bergers shot .2 moa. I have a 9 twist barrel, and sierra calls for an 8, but I don't think that is the problem because I was shooting at 4500'. My goal was to get them to group well at 100 and then back off to 1000. I was then going to do some expansion tests at various velocities. My gut feeling is that they might have some SERIOUS long range hunting potential. Given the angle of entry of the nose of the bullet being even greater than a berger, the hollow in the nose being about the same, and the thin jacket, I feel that they may expand well. They SHOULD act similar to a berger as far as penetrating a couple inches before they expand. They do have a little smaller meplat which may slow expansion somewhat, but the angle of entry may offset that. Only field testing will tell? If I can get them to group, I will try to do some expansion tests later........Rich

I'm getting an 8 1/2" twist Kreiger chambered up in a 7x300WM this coming week, and it'll be throated for the 183's, with 180 Hybrids jumping for a back-up plan...

I look forward to the results. I'm more interested in this than the Berger 195.
Me too..... I debated long and hard on ordering any 195's.

I felt it was likely a wash with the potential velocity gain of the lighter slugs over the 195's.

Of course all dependent on best velocity meeting best accuracy........

what do the tips look like on these 183's? or what are they supposed to look like?
I ordered a box, and the box was broke, some of the bullets had a very small hollow point like hole smaller than the normal matchkings, others where solid tips, a whole lot of the tips was very uneven and jagged - I may have got a bad box or run of em.
I ordered a box of Berger 180 Hybrids along with them... they was in good shape.
the 195 and 180 shoot really well out of my 30 inch 8 twist 284, the 180's are more accurate, but the 195's still avg around 1/2 moa at 100 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.