Side Arm for Grizzly Country

No harder than a 629 of you know what you're doing.

I own one, do you ?
Briefly, but not any more. I had the 329PD. Your comment shows your ignorance. They are violent with full blown bear loads. Based on your earlier comparisons showing 44 mag loads with 900ft lbs of energy, you obviously are shooting loads made for women and children.

Amazing how you know SO much about what other people are doing !

My wife (FYI a woman) shoots my 329 with no issues.

Women and children in the "Western US" must be made of weaker stuff. Must emulate you.

Our load:

320Cast Performance LFNHodgdonH-11020.0 1,191

+1 for a chest rig!!!!!!
Negative on the chest rig if you are going to be actually be horseback for hours at a time, same for chest binoculars. Your lower back has to support the weight without the help from your overall body. Your lower back will become very tired and start cramping. If backpacking they both work great. Been there and done it.

Another thread turned into a pi--ing match

Yes but there are a lot of those folks in the Western US.

drunk pelosi.jpg

Negative on the chest rig if you are going to be actually be horseback for hours at a time, same for chest binoculars. Your lower back has to support the weight without the help from your overall body. Your lower back will become very tired and start cramping. If backpacking they both work great. Been there and done it.

All I know is what works for me. I've carried my 329 in an El Paso Tanker holster for 20 years with weeks of miles on horse back. No issues.

My dad carried his 1911 in one from Normandy to war's end, worked fine. (Only dead officers carried 1911s in plain sight.) (or wore rank)

This would be a good excuse to buy a used Ruger Super black hawk in 45 Long Colt, which can be loaded to stronger than 44 Mag anything...very affordable

There are some ammo companies loading 300g Hard cast for the Long Colt, Buffalo Bore for instance.

Upgrade the grips on the Super black hawk to a rubber grip.

When you get on the trail, and you come across a tracks made by a griz, you are going to wish you were carrying a bazoka.

Im not reading through 19 pages, but I am going with a 460 Rowland. It's a modified 1911 with 44 mag power with 8 rnds and in a platform i shoot very well.
I too have the 460Rowland in a 1911. It's a good round! Unfortunately I've found it's a ways from performance of the 44 mag. Closer to the 41 mag. I use 250gr hard cast @ 1250fps

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.