30 Cal energy for LR Grizzly

Alan Griffith

Staying with 30 caliber, 180 or 200 Accubond, 180 E-tip or 200 Partition, I'm trying to determine what my max range would be assuming the accuracy is there. To better explain what I mean, if accuracy was phenominal or not even a factor how far away would I be willing to shoot a Grizzly. I can run varying scenarios through my EXBAL but I'm looking for an energy level. I've heard that 1000 fpe is minimum for deer, 1500 for elk; but Grizzly?

HBO.....help a brother out!

Very true! I've thought alot about that. Up close w/ a Brownie......gives me the willies. Probably why some love that type of a hunt.

I'm just trying to figure out how far is too far. Trying to see if their is some kind of an accepted energy level floating around out there. Maybe a SWAG?

... Trying to see if their is some kind of an accepted energy level floating around out there. Maybe a SWAG?

Sorry to be glib, but if you're worrying about energy level's for a Griz, you probably don't have enough ;)

I'd want as much as I could handle (I'd want 4000-5000 at impact to be comfortable). Any closer than 100yds and want a good backup shooter beside me.

AJ

AJ,

Good one and I hear ya! I thought about asking this question over on 24hourcampfire.com or accuratereloading.com since they have a wealth of knowledge and experience over there. It's just that I don't need a lecture about LRH from some self righteous "know it all". Thus my asking here because I'm not too worried about "close" Kinetic energy. My EXBAL, at 25 yds (close as EXBAL will calculate), gives my "slow/2623 fps" 200 Accubond 2975 FPE. I'm comfortable with that. What I'm looking for is how far out, based upon energy not accuracy, I can shoot a Grizzly. I'll develop the accuracy!

Staying with 30 caliber, 180 or 200 Accubond, 180 E-tip or 200 Partition, I'm trying to determine what my max range would be assuming the accuracy is there. To better explain what I mean, if accuracy was phenominal or not even a factor how far away would I be willing to shoot a Grizzly. I can run varying scenarios through my EXBAL but I'm looking for an energy level. I've heard that 1000 fpe is minimum for deer, 1500 for elk; but Grizzly?

HBO.....help a brother out!
Several years ago the father of one of my friends wanted me to load him up some ammo for his 300RUM to go on a grizzly hunt to Alaska. he was adamant about using 180gr scirocco's. I did as he asked but added my opinion that of all the gun's he had in his gun safe I would use his 338RUM 10 times out of 10 for a grizz hunt.
He went to Alaska and emptied his magazine into a very large grizzly they were able to track it for awhile but were never able to find the bear.
upon his return home he handed me his 338RUM and said load me something I can kill a grizz with, two years later he returned home from Alaska with the grizzly he had shot with his 338RUM loaded with 225gr Accubonds.
UB

Forget the energy figures. It is pentration into the vitals that kill. I have killed Grizzly with a handgun without a problem and a handgun pales in comparisdon to the energy of a rifle. As long as you have enough velocity for the bullet to perform as designed and the bullet is applied to the correct location death will soon follow...

FWIW,
A good friend of mine went up to BC this past fall on a moose/grizzly bear hunt. He used his 300 Win Mag with 180 gr TSX bullets to take a 60" bull moose at 362 yds and a B&C Grizzly bear at 374 yds. 1 shot each.

JD338

FWIW,
A good friend of mine went up to BC this past fall on a moose/grizzly bear hunt. He used his 300 Win Mag with 180 gr TSX bullets to take a 60" bull moose at 362 yds and a B&C Grizzly bear at 374 yds. 1 shot each.

JD338

It's that simple use that right bullet and stick in the correct location ='s Trophy

UncleB,

Sorry to say, a new rifle/caliber is not an option at this time. It's taking everything I've got just to make the hunt.

My 30-06 Ackley Imp is developing from 2620 to 2880 fps with the Nosler 200 Accubond depending upon which load I settle on.

Forget the energy figures. It is pentration into the vitals that kill. I have killed Grizzly with a handgun without a problem and a handgun pales in comparisdon to the energy of a rifle. As long as you have enough velocity for the bullet to perform as designed and the bullet is applied to the correct location death will soon follow...

Ah, a possible answer to my dilema. I forgot the velocity issue. Nosler's site says 1800 fps is minimum for expansion. Playing devil's advocate, going w/ 1900 fps at my lowest 2623 fps for the 200 AB, a max of around 570 yds is a likely maxium distance. That is totally w/in reason.

Differinging opionions?

ive read a few hunting books by a few pretty big name guys. many have written on the best range to take ol griz, and more than 1 have said that farther than 75 and closer than 250 is ideal. any closer than 75 and he will be on you in 6 strides, and any farther than 250 and you have the issue of inaccuracy and lessened impact energy, along with the low possibility of a good follow up shot, putting you in a pretty sticky situation of trackin mr. griz into a hole in the brush without many holes in him. he can get pretty grumpy up close, and anything short of a 454casull in hand could be called irresponsible.

just a thought. sometimes theres good reason to pass up the longer shots other than just ethics.... he might be able to eat you when u get there:D

oh, and i vote for the partition

I've shot quite a number of bears, including browns, grizzlies, and blacks. The prior post covers a consideration I completely agree with. After a bear has been hit, it will generally continue to scramble until it reaches cover or dies. They don't typically offer high percentage follow-up shots on non-fatal hits. If they reach cover and haven't been hit pretty darn good, they don't leave a great blood trail, and they're tough animals that can motor long distances through the ugly stuff. Unlike deer, moose, caribou, sheep, goats, etc..., which will often stop and look around after being hit, bears head out for the safety of cover, and then continue to put distance between themselves and danger. Perhaps because their eyesight isn't the greatest, they don't stop to look the country over like other animals more dependant on their sight for survival.

So if you're confident you can place a fatal first shot hit on the bear at longer distances, I don't believe you'll have any trouble killing your bear with your '06 provided your bullet has sufficient remaining velocity to expand upon impact.

My primary advice is don't expect a non-fatally hit grizzly bear to pose and offer standing-still followup shots. Expect the bear to be on the go until cover is reached. Based on my experiences and observations, I recommend getting within sure-kill first shot range, so that if something does go wrong, your chances of hitting the bear with a followup shot on the run are improved.

But if you can't close the distance to the ideal range, I wouldn't hesitant to strike a well placed killing blow at longer distances with your '06. The average grizzly isn't a huge animal. If you bump into an old mature boar, then yes, they can be down right impressive. But not on the same order as a mature brown bear boar. The big coastal brown bears can be unsettling to the uninitiated simply by virtue of their immense size. A mature coastal brown bear will dwarf the largest of inland grizzly bears - no comparison. And your '06 will kill a big coastal brownie with a good hit, so don't feel handicapped with the '06 for grizzly bears. Place the shot properly and enjoy your hunt. It should be a great time.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.