Should I send this back for warranty work?

Asking a question for a friend. Has anyone noticed that in the time this thread has run, a new TC Compass could have been bought, scoped and sighted in for the hunt ?

I just bought a used one here, very reasonable and ready to hunt.

I want to know where that Walmart is lol. I would clear them out and all the nieces and nephews could have a Savage Axis to build off of

Most of the clearance rifles are gone but this was at Walmarts across the country. Picked up 2 Savage Axis Camo HB 223's with Bushnell scopes for $80, an Axis 22-250 for $50, an Axis 308 for $50, and a Henry Big Boy .44 mag for $170 yesterday. The real kicker is that there is a $50 rebate on all the Savage Axis guns. Actually bought on Wednesday, but background checks are running long so finally picked them up yesterday.

Most of the clearance rifles are gone but this was at Walmarts across the country. Picked up 2 Savage Axis Camo HB 223's with Bushnell scopes for $80, an Axis 22-250 for $50, an Axis 308 for $50, and a Henry Big Boy .44 mag for $170 yesterday. The real kicker is that there is a $50 rebate on all the Savage Axis guns. Actually bought on Wednesday, but background checks are running long so finally picked them up yesterday.
A Henry big boy for $170??! Man what a steal.

Asking a question for a friend. Has anyone noticed that in the time this thread has run, a new TC Compass could have been bought, scoped and sighted in for the hunt ?

I just bought a used one here, very reasonable and ready to hunt.

Yup. Unfortunately a new rifle that I'd be willing to purchase isn't in the budget right now.

Well here's an update.

I was talking to my wife about figuring out why the gun won't shoot and the fact that I may not get it back from savage in time for the season and then still not having it shoot any better. She told me to just trade it in for a new rifle!

She's much smarter with our finances than I am, so she does the managing of it. She at first said I shouldn't buy a new rifle but in consideration of the possible large amounts of time and other money I may need to put into it (like a Boyd's stock, bedding it, lapping the bolt lugs, maybe a new barrel, possible firing pin spring issues that are common with the axis rifles, the ammo and time reloading) that it would be more worthwhile just getting one that would need less work to shoot well. I guess I didn't fully explain the gamble that budget rifles are when we initially purchased this one. Not to knock savage rifles because I know they make great shooting rifles. I just feel like I didn't have a winning ticket!

So, I think I'll be getting a Tikka 7mm08 after work. I really would like to keep the axis around and eventually figure it out to learn something, but I'm supposed to put that money towards the replacement rifle. I know there's other rifle options that people would whole heartedly suggest, but I love my own Tikka, it shoots well, and I have done a TON of reading on them over the last year looking for weak points. For the price, I don't feel like there is a better option for having a high likelihood of getting a really accurate gun out of the box that doesn't have any design weak points (other than the short mag box but that doesn't matter for short action cartridges). It's a gun manufacturer that I have a lot of confidence in.

Since my kids are about 85 pounds, I am really wanting to get them the compact model that comes with the adjustable LOP stock. There's one at a local store for $620! But, it only comes in the blued steel version and has a 20" vs 22.5" barrel. The superlite is $750 with the longer barrel and stainless, but I'd have to cut the butt stock to fit them or find a takeoff compact stock from someone, which seems to be a bit hard to find.

Thoughts one the shorter barrel, blued steel, and LOP issue?

Well here's an update.

I was talking to my wife about figuring out why the gun won't shoot and the fact that I may not get it back from savage in time for the season and then still not having it shoot any better. She told me to just trade it in for a new rifle!

She's much smarter with our finances than I am, so she does the managing of it. She at first said I shouldn't buy a new rifle but in consideration of the possible large amounts of time and other money I may need to put into it (like a Boyd's stock, bedding it, lapping the bolt lugs, maybe a new barrel, possible firing pin spring issues that are common with the axis rifles, the ammo and time reloading) that it would be more worthwhile just getting one that would need less work to shoot well. I guess I didn't fully explain the gamble that budget rifles are when we initially purchased this one. Not to knock savage rifles because I know they make great shooting rifles. I just feel like I didn't have a winning ticket!

So, I think I'll be getting a Tikka 7mm08 after work. I really would like to keep the axis around and eventually figure it out to learn something, but I'm supposed to put that money towards the replacement rifle. I know there's other rifle options that people would whole heartedly suggest, but I love my own Tikka, it shoots well, and I have done a TON of reading on them over the last year looking for weak points. For the price, I don't feel like there is a better option for having a high likelihood of getting a really accurate gun out of the box that doesn't have any design weak points (other than the short mag box but that doesn't matter for short action cartridges). It's a gun manufacturer that I have a lot of confidence in.

Since my kids are about 85 pounds, I am really wanting to get them the compact model that comes with the adjustable LOP stock. There's one at a local store for $620! But, it only comes in the blued steel version and has a 20" vs 22.5" barrel. The superlite is $750 with the longer barrel and stainless, but I'd have to cut the butt stock to fit them or find a takeoff compact stock from someone, which seems to be a bit hard to find.

Thoughts one the shorter barrel, blued steel, and LOP issue?

Fit is far more important with kids, Tikka and Weatherby are two of my favorites for kids, the Weatherby Camilla for girls is absolutely perfect. Fit is so important cause it sets them up to handle recoil way better and shoot naturally so it's an easy win for years as they grow up enjoying shooting!!!

Fit is far more important with kids, Tikka and Weatherby are two of my favorites for kids, the Weatherby Camilla for girls is absolutely perfect. Fit is so important cause it sets them up to handle recoil way better and shoot naturally so it's an easy win for years as they grow up enjoying shooting!!!

I know it. I really struggle with the axis when I have the spacer taken out for shorter LOP so I have to put it back in every time I shoot it. I remember the days when I was young and small with my large Remington 1100 slug gun!

My Tikka a stainless rusted up really quick on the Oregon coast....i wouldn't even think of buying another for hunting over there...
7rm lite model if I recall....gotta watch that cheap plastic shroud too....mine liked to come off often....

So I went to the store yesterday and looked at a few Tikka 7mm08s. I was thinking of going with the compact just so I wouldn't have to cut the butt stock on a full size model but I checked the bolt lug contact (sharpied the bolt lugs and cycles it a few times) and the contact as less than desirable. I did the same thing with the superlite and it was dang near perfect. I also looked at the regular lite stainless model. The evenness of free-float on each side of the barrel was about the same for the superlite and regular lite so I went with the superlite due to it being $50 cheaper. I figure I'll just cutt the butt stock and add some weight to the internals of the stock to give it a bit more weight for the kids until they gain some weight. Then when they get bigger and need a longer stock, I'll put it into my .30-06 takeoff stock that I haven't modified.

For those that are curious about a brand new Tikka bore, here are some pictures. This teslong borescope is awesome. I'm glad to be able to see a new bore and see what it looks like through the life of the barrel. There's a few of the chamber (which is kinda rough), the leade (also a bit rough), the lands, the crown, and portions of the bore. I'm surprised at how glass like the finish on the bore is. The only marks through the bore are the ones on the lands that are shown. I cleaned it, mounted the scope, and am excited to see how it does today!

Attachments

• Photo_48.jpg
    Photo_48.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Photo_57.jpg
    Photo_57.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Photo_56.jpg
    Photo_56.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Photo_53.jpg
    Photo_53.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Photo_52.jpg
    Photo_52.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Photo_62.jpg
    Photo_62.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Photo_51.jpg
    Photo_51.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Photo_61.jpg
    Photo_61.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Photo_49.jpg
    Photo_49.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 94
  • Photo_50.jpg
    Photo_50.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 100
Other pictures

Attachments

• Photo_47.jpg
    Photo_47.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Photo_46.jpg
    Photo_46.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Photo_45.jpg
    Photo_45.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Photo_44.jpg
    Photo_44.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Photo_43.jpg
    Photo_43.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Photo_42.jpg
    Photo_42.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 82
Teslong scopes are great, I have a couple as well and like them better than the Lyman or Hawkeye. As to the Chamber, you don NOT want a chamber that is polished nirror smooth. You want it to grip the case properly and I would say the Chamber on your Tikka is just about exactly what it should be, Not deep gouges or scratches but not mirror smooth either. Should work great.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.