Should I go 20 practical?

akdad

wondering what people's experiences are with the 20 practical?? I really enjoy prairie dogs in the spring and was wondering if there is any real benefit to using that vrs just staying with 223??

I really enjoy prairie dogs in the spring.

Hahaha! 😆
I love the ring of that...! Just like "I enjoy the foleage in the fall."
So, you enjoy the prairie dogs in the spring....

I wonder if they could say the same about enjoying you and your future 20 Practical...! 😆

Matthias

PS:
Sorry, I can't advise on the 20 Practical, but your line was just too good to pass up! Hope you get the advice you're looking for. 👍🏼

Last edited:
223's are boring! Go 20 caliber and you will love it. If you reload 20 Practical is easy and economical. If you want to use factory ammo maybe 204R is the way to go. I have both and can't tell much difference. I also have a 20VT and a 20-250. PM me if you want to discuss this subject. I've been shooting pd's since I was 7 years old and I'm now 73. Shot 100,000's of thousands rounds at the rascals, I even got a few. Used about every cartridge you can imagine for varmints.

If you're going to shoot suppressed stick with a 223. If you're going to stay long barrel and like splat factor, go practical.

I've got an 18.5 204 ruger that just isn't worth it over 223 in a shorter barrel like the caliber requires for speed.

Now if what a person is going for in shooting pdogs is a really exciting SMACK!!!! on impact… you should be shooting a 243 win not a 20 cal.

223 all day for me, I've done both and like Fenix said the factory ammo is great and for me when loading ammo my fingers can handle the slightly bigger 223 bullets that much easier.

I'm going to rebarrel my Howa "Mini" in 204 for these reasons

Quackshot hit the nail on the head with the fun aspect. Bulk 223 is probably more practical, but the 20 cal gets such a fun splatter effect. Can still get it with the 223 and light for caliber, but these forums are dedicated to minute details and the 20s get the nod in that.

wondering what people's experiences are with the 20 practical?? I really enjoy prairie dogs in the spring and was wondering if there is any real benefit to using that vrs just staying with 223??
We shoot both
Really like the 204R shooting 39gr SBK on top of H-4895 with a 26" heavy barrel. The only thing is Brass for the .204R. No Lapua, but we us mostly Nosler.

The .223 with 50gr Z-Max, 55 gr SBK for PD/Chucks and then bump up the 65gr SGK for Yotes Hogs also with H-4895, Lapua Brass but getting hard to find.

Attachments

• Ruger 204.jpg
    Ruger 204.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Ruger .204 MDT Chassis.jpg
    Ruger .204 MDT Chassis.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Ruger 77 MII .204 Target Grey.JPG
    Ruger 77 MII .204 Target Grey.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Coyote 223.jpg
    Coyote 223.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 52
I do reload so that's taken care of I may just try a remage just for kicks. Ed is right about having ammo in bulk but this would just be for fun. Wouldn't be first time I did something that wasn't completely intelligent🤷🏻‍♂️

H

Im hoping life settles down here at some point but I did get my loading stuff mostly set up. Kid loves shooting PDs so we are going to try and get out a lot more this spring.
This is an excellent opportunity for the young lad to learn and roll his own. I miss those times with my sons; enjoy them while you can.