Should be a Simple Question 6.5x284

taylorjones20

Hello all, first post, been gathering information from this site for a while.

I just recently purchased a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 Norma. I haven't even shot the gun yet but I am getting prepared to clean it and start the barrel break in process. My question is, what caliber cleaning rod, jag, and bore brush is the correct one for this gun??? I see the 6.5 = 25 ... but I also see the 284 in the 7mm.

I know this seems elementary but I am having trouble figuring out which cleaning supplies to purchase! lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Taylor

Welcome to LRH,

The caliber of your rifle is 6.5mm or 264. 284 (win) is the parent case it was derived from.

You will want a rod and jag intended for this diameter or smaller. Usually rods will have a caliber range like .243-.284 ( 6mm-7mm ) and jags will be caliber specific.

Its not unusual for me to use a jag one size smaller. It just uses a little more patch. Hope this helps.

Thank you! This does help.

I was looking at the Tipton Cleaning Rods and they come in 22-26 caliber and 27-45 caliber. And then the description on their bore brushes reads: "Package includes: Pack of 3 Cleaning Brush 25/6.5 Caliber"

I was getting quite confused.

Are these good products to start with or do you have other recommendations?

Thanks!

Tipton cleaning rods are very good. Carbon fiber rods work well.

Tipton also makes a pretty good bore guide. You will want to pick one of those up too. It keeps the rod running straight while inserting it into the bore and also keeps cleaning fluids, etc. from getting into action the magazine area.

Tipton brushes should be fine.

Tipton also makes nickle coated jags. These are good to use when cleaning with copper solvents as they will not give much false positive (blue on the cleaning rag) when using copper cleaners.

I like Butch's Bore Shine for a cleaner.

Tipton makes good stuff. I have a cleaning rod and a bunch of their brushes and jags. I also have their Universal Bore Guide Kit which I highly recommend for cleaning precision rifles. Bore brushes are always a little larger than bore diameter so it's common for them to fit more than one caliber. .257 and .264 are close enough that the same brush will work for either.

Use a 6.5 mm or 6mm jag.

I am a big fan of boretech eliminator for cleaning. Especially when breaking the barrel in. You'll get a lot of copper fouling during the break in and Boretech Eliminator is excellent at removing it quick and easy.

Boretech also makes 6.5 mm nylon brushes to use. I give them 5 out of 5 stars. I avoid using metal brushes. A good Nylon brush is much safer on your barrel and just as effective with a good cleaner.

Good luck. Enjoy you're gun. I have one of the same and it's the most accurate gun I own. I have shot several groups with it that look like one 30 cal hole.

Hmmm. I have no clue how I ended up putting 6.5x684 in the title of this thread... I don't see any way to change it. Great first post! lol

I have that same rifle. I used two boxes of Nosler 129gr LRABs for break in/sighting in.

I never shot more than 3 round groups and would let the rifle cool. I used a normal brush and then wet/dry patch after each trip to the range. I have started reloading for the rifle and after about 150rds I used the kroil/jb paste combo, went back and finished my load development and left the bore alone as it was shooting ragged holes.

What was your break-in process for your gun?

First I'll say Len's post was great. Thanks

As for my breakin. Different people have differing beliefs on what the breakin does and how to do it. My personal opinion is that on a factory barrel it takes "X" number of shot to break the barrel in with the number being different with each individual barrel. I do not belief that any different method of break in accomplishes the break in any faster. I only believe that some methods make the process easier. I personally use the break in process to begin load work up. I clean my new barrel first with boretech. Load rounds with increasing powder charges up to slightly over book max and at .015" jump to lands. I'll shoot those at 100 yards making adjustments to zero the scope and inspect each spent brass for pressure signs as they come out. When I reach my rifles max ( see pressure signs). I stop and give the barrel a thorough cleaning with boretech and nylon brush. I'll then back down 2 grains from max and load 3 shot groups every .5 grains up to max. I'll shoot those at 100 and clean barrel between groups. Note that each load starting on a clean barrel you're most likely not going to see super groups as usually some fouling is needed to group well but what I'm doing is breaking the barrel in and trying to narrow down where I will focus my load work. I'll take the best group of those and load a group .2 grains on each side of it and including the charge in question. I'll shoot those three groups cleaning in between and then I'll take the best of those and start working with seating depth. (I'll usually have around 32-36 shots in at this point) Now I may shoot five 3 shot groups before cleaning while moving the seating depth in or out looking for that sweet spot. After 2 rounds of that the barrel is usually broke in or almost done and I usually have the load narrowed down fairly close. From here I'll do the serious load work and clean maybe every 35 or so shots. While doing my serious load work, after cleaning I'll shoot 2-3 fouling shots and let the barrel completely cool for maybe 30 min before shooting the load work loads. After my load work is done and my load is finalized, I consider the barrel broke in and I'll clean as needed after that. As groups open up or get POI shift on targets.

Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.