Should I Muzzle Break a 6.5x284

NVHunter1

Hi All,
Love this forum and wanted your input. I have a cooper 6.5x284 Excaliber that I love and shoots really well. Ben shooting all the way out to 1000 yards and wanted to know how many people have put a muzzle break on this caliber? I loose the sight picture every time I shoot and was wondering if putting a break on would rectify this situation. Any reccomendation for Breaks would be appreciated.

Thanks for your input.

I'm not the most experienced shooter, by any means, but I am adding a break to a 260 Remington simply to accomplish what you are after, seeing the hit. Guys with a lot more knowledge than myself have told me a good brake will allow you to watch the bullet impact and, to me, that is important when shooting long range.

My gunsmith recommended the Harrell's Precision Tactical brake. It doesn't blow out the bottom (or 360 degrees), so you don't blow dirt everywhere. He says it takes away as much recoil as any brake on the market and it only cost $30.00. Yes, you read that right, $30.00. I am getting it installed for slightly over $100.00. That is a bargain IMO.

I am having it pillar bedded and a trigger along with the brake. I should have it back next week and will post some photos.

I have a 6.5x284 in a savage 116. The rifle is 11 lbs ready to rock. At 800 yards a couple of days ago I was able to see the hits on all but my first shot.

I did a 3 shot group from a rest, laying on the ground. I then shot another 10 or so from a *** stoney point bipod. Before this day I had a bit of trouble spotting. What I found is that the 284 needs to recoil straight back and not bounce. For me, if I hug the rifle a tad and push it forward in the pod or rest I can stay in line.

Now keep in mind, I didn't get to see the bullet in flight but I did see the impact.

Before this I had talked to a gun smith about braking. I think I might be OK now if I just follow this technique, which is also used by Gunwerxs. They have a vid in the vid section showing this tech which is where I got the idea. I tried it. It worked.

I have one going together now. It will have a brake. Why wouldn't I, watching the trace and impact is 1/2 the fun.

Jeff

Broz

I didn't think the 6.5 was your thing! Can you give us some details about your build.

Op,

I am putting a 6.5x284 together with a mini muscle break, going on a heavy plama barrel ending at .90!

Broz

I didn't think the 6.5 was your thing! Can you give us some details about your build.

Op,

I am putting a 6.5x284 together with a mini muscle break, going on a heavy plama barrel ending at .90!

Her ya go. This is being built with a friend in mind.

Rem 700 long action.
TP&G fluted one piece bolt, M-16 extractor, steel firing pin with aluminum shroud.
S&G bolt knob knurled to match NXS knurls
6.5 x 284 chambered for 140 Bergers
Timney trigger 1.5 LBS
BenchMark 5R tube, 8 twist, 26", #5 contour, .750 @ muzzle, 6 flutes 1/4"
JP tactical compensator brake
Near 20 moa UL rail base
Nightforce rings
3.5~15x50 NXS with RP-R2 ZS and HS turrets (110moa elevation)
Precision stock works/ Mcmillan stock (Precision Stock Works | Custom Rifle Stocks) in black with grey web.
Pillar bedded
all metal will be satin black cerakote

Her ya go. This is being built with a friend in mind.

Rem 700 long action.
TP&G fluted one piece bolt, M-16 extractor, steel firing pin with aluminum shroud.
S&G bolt knob knurled to match NXS knurls
6.5 x 284 chambered for 140 Bergers
Timney trigger 1.5 LBS
BenchMark 5R tube, 8 twist, 26", #5 contour, .750 @ muzzle, 6 flutes 1/4"
JP tactical compensator brake
Near 20 moa UL rail base
Nightforce rings
3.5~15x50 NXS with RP-R2 ZS and HS turrets (110moa elevation)
Precision stock works/ Mcmillan stock (Precision Stock Works | Custom Rifle Stocks) in black with grey web.
Pillar bedded
all metal will be satin black cerakote

*Scratches Head* What the hell do you all do for a living?! I am fresh out of college with a decent job and I can not afford half of this stuff and STILL EAT! haha

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.