shotgunning coyotes lesson learned

I'd have to disagree with you on Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote loads. I have had nothing but great luck with them including an 83 yard (witnessed) on-the-run shot that stopped a big coyote in his tracks, no finishing shot required. I agree that they're spendy but IMHO you get what you pay for. I rarely shoot more than a box of 10 per season and in the grand scheme of things that few extra dollars is money well spent. Don't get me wrong, I'll shoot 4-buck and 3" lead BB loads too but when I'm serious about killing stuff I use the Dead Coyote loads.

Well, I'm always serious about killing stuff. I'm not denying they're good shells, and if you can afford to shoot them, go ahead. But I simply will not pay that much for shotgun ammo.

At that price, I could shoot each coyote five times with my .243... or shoot four more coyotes.

Thanks for all your help guys. All this info really helps, I'm going to buy a couple boxes of rounds different sizes and see what she does ill let yall know how it works out.

It's hard to know if I should take the .204 or shotgun somtimes. I prefer using a rifle on coyotes, so usually it's the .204. One day, my calling partner couldn't go, so I took both. I had a coyote charge straight in to 25 yds and I was laying down behind the rifle. Suddenly, I remembered the shotgun laying beside me and was able to roll the coyote as it turned. I thought that was the ticket, but I don't like carrying two guns. I did buy some Dead Coyote shells, but was really dissapointed when I finally got around to patterning them. Unreliable patterns past 50 yards, and the recoil is ferocious! A friend told me he could roll a dog at 80 yards using 00 buckshot with a turkey choke, so I bought some Remington 3" 00 buck just to prove him wrong. I'm using a Benelli Nova 3.5" 12 guage, and a Primos Jelly Head turkey choke. You've got to see the range out of this setup to believe it. 000 buck has fewer pellets, but gives even longer range. I haven't used this on coyotes or wolves yet, but I'm looking forward to trying it out. Pattern this setup and you'll be amazed.

I don't have a shotgun but if I did have one I don't know if I'd be too excited about hauling around two guns. I too have been caught off guard by a coyote that shows up quick and close popping out from nearby brush. I learned that if I hunt anywhere near any brush, I turn my scope down to 3 or 4. Easier to dial up for a 3 hundred yard shot then to have to rush to dial down for a coyote that's about to spot YOU from 40 yards.

I use to carry my shotgun and rifle, but its just too much to carry. Now I carry a handgun for the close work. I just sit my glock 20 on my lap and if I get one within 50 yards he is in a world of trouble.

Rifle in the middle of my back on an Timber Butte Outlaw sling, shotgun slung over my right shoulder, calling chair with my bipod and decoy stuck in the bag over my left shoulder and my e-caller slung over the front. I look like a stinkin' pack mule but after doing it for awhile, it is a manageable system. :rolleyes:

I'm with Tim. Seems I regret it every time I leave the shotgun at home. My dog chasing is different than my deer chasing. I don't hike all day up and down mountains for coyotes so a little extra weight isn't a big deal. Plus there's some extra satisfaction in whackin' em at 30 feet!

bigblazer433;765742Seems like it will be tough carrying a rifle and a shotgun at the same time plus a call and other gear. I just keep bringing more and more with me every time I go it seems haha![/QUOTE said:
I ran into this same problem/question. Get yourself a nice pack that will hold your extra gun. See this thread. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f30/best-coyote-pack-118285/#post839102. You can also just pick up a shotgun scabbard fairly cheap and strap it to another pack of some sort. Otherwise, it's definitely awkward carrying two guns into your stands.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.