shotgun recommendation for female ?

OhYtD

My 2 young boys Turkey hunt with a Mossberg Model 500 Bantam. It has a 3" chamber, adjustable fiber optic sights, adjustable length of pull, and covered in an awesome APG Camo finish. I added a Vero Vellini neoprene sling. I also installed an HS Strut Undertaker tube. After much testing, it performs awesome at 40 yards. It likes the Remington Wingmaster HD #6's. My 12 year old son killed his first Gobbler this year, it was awesome. I think that this rig would be perfect for you. Unless you are aware of your recoil tolerance do not get a 12ga. You will be miserable.

Take a look at the Mossburg SA-20 Bantam
They are awesome guns and with the right
shell (Magnum Blends from Hevishot) she
will be highly pleased

My cousins boys are shooting a 20ga Tristar. My son shot a Mossberg bantam until he moved to a 12ga

Shoot the TSS loads and you can drop to a 20 gauge or even smaller, #9's will penetrate 3" of ballistic get at 70 yards which is more than enough to kill a turkey if your pattern holds up that far. A #9 TSS weighs the same as a #5 lead pellet but penetrates much better, patterns better, and does not deform. They are expensive but how many turkeys do you shoot ? Well worth it in my opinion.

Gas gun, honestly you only shoot once and the last thing on my mind when I have a bird that can see from a great distance within 20 yards of me, the last thing I'm thinking is how much recoil my gun has...

I shoot an AL391 and it's very soft shooting. It's a 30" Teknys so it has the mercury filled damper in the stock. It's soft because it's heavy.

Hard to beat a A400 with the Kick Off. You can shoot hot 3" shells in it and it kicks less than most 20ga guns. A friend has the Xplor model and we've had 11 year olds shoot 3 or 4 rounds of skeet in a day with no problems.

Get a 20ga gas gun, especially if you can load for it. fit it to her as best you can, and put a rocker pad on it. Rocker pad is a big deal for lowering recoil for women. For practice at clays load 3/4oz of shot with Alliant 20/28 or green dot. We load green dot with 3/4oz for good functioning. You should be around 1200fps to get it to function. This is the go to load for girls shooting skeet. If a pump or O/U you can load it a little slower. Save the heavier stuff for hunting when she will be wearing heavier clothes and not notice the extra recoil. Both my daughters shoot 3-1/2 12ga's with 3" loads at waterfowl now, but they didn't start this way, and they both shoot the above load at clays still. If you don't load for shotguns consider a 28ga. The little gun kills much better than it should, and throws better patterns than many 20's.

Make sure the shotgun fits properly (very, very important),
Shotgun has a good quality recoil pad,
Place a Mercury Recoil Suppressor in the butt stock .
A semi auto is a good bet with the above list for comfort.

A note about gun fit for girls. They are shaped differently than boys or men. They have longer necks, narrower shoulders, and higher cheek bones. Their chests are different with a different shoulder pocket. Actual gun needs less drop at comb, more at heel, and a recoil pad that tapers from the center both ways (rocker). cast and pitch are different too. There are aftermarket stocks and even new guns that are stocked this way and are a closer fit to most girls, and marketed as such. If the gun is fitted properly a girl can handle recoil just as well as a man. This is why most folks fail miserably teaching a girl to shoot a shotgun. You cannot just shorten a stock and think it will fit them ok. It will beat them to death. Guaranteed a black eye if they shoot it much. It is much the same as if you raise your head when shooting. It will pop you in the mouth and cheek. Good stock fitters are worth their weight in gold if you don't really know what you are doing. Same goes for guys. You will never shoot a shotgun well if it doesn't fit you properly, and you will not know why.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.